Thursday, 19 February 2015

The Perception of Women in India

Attached is an article I came across this week which, sadly, I agree with wholeheartedly.   One of the hardest things to deal with while living here in India has been the feeling of being different.  Not just because of my heritage, colour of my skin or the language I speak, but because I am a woman.  As much as the politicians and senior members of India would like to believe that things are not as bad as reported - I can honestly say that, generally, women are NOT treated well in India.

I know we have issues in my own country with equality for women but in comparison to the women here in India, we are doing ok.  I know more can be done but living here has certainly opened my eyes to how far we have come.

I can agree with a number of the items written in the article, such as:
  • being stared at, ogled at, and followed .... it can be creepy and is constant.  Not just every now again but everywhere you go someone is staring at you.
  • Commented on and talked about for no apparent reason - again, this is not just occasionally but all public spaces - security guards, shopkeepers, drivers......
  • Not going our at night without a male companion - this is just something I wouldn't do.
  • Having staff unhappy to travel alone in rickshaw at night, even with our driver, because they don't feel safe being along with a male, other than their husband or son.
These are just a few and are much tamer and then many of the stories you hear and read about.  I echo the words of many (if not all) my expat girlfriends when we say that these incidents are not isolated and it is one of the negative aspects of living here in India.

I hope India can move ahead from the current state of affairs but they have'a lot of work to do !

The article:    http://www.jaagore.com/power-of-49/a-story-they-dont-want-you-to-hear-the-western-woman-in-india

No comments:

Post a Comment