Saturday, 5 July 2014

Life on the Farm

Today was probably the first day this trip, that I have had time to just drop things and help 'work' on the farm.  It was nice to get out and feel like I was helping in some way.  Dad was getting some cows and calves in to give some injections and to ear-tag some calves.  So, I put my hand up and offered to help, along with Poppy's number one offsider, Max, while Mum and Jack had other jobs to handle.

So off we went up, to the shed to get 'ready'........ whatever that means.  We gathered all the 'stuff' (which looked more like a medical kit then farming gear) and then Dad and Max were off to muster the cows.  Dad on the quad and Max on his motorbike.  I am never one to be left out so I headed to the shed to jump on Glen's postie bike and help with the mustering.  Well, it's been a while but they say you never forget......   After a bit of trouble starting it (kicking starting a bike has never been my strong point) off I headed and we managed to get them in pretty easily - even with the few very steep and scary gullies we had to negotiate.  Max is quite the little off roader on his bike and just loves following his Pop.

The morning went quite well really - Dad and I didn't have any crossed words and all the cows and bull were successfully injected.  Then came the calves........ I was feeling fairly confident by this time as I'd had a pretty good morning really.  But, of course, things are never the same when it comes to farming and the calves, not only needed the injection but also, the bull calves needed to be 'castrated' and some needed to be ear tagged.  Oh Joy !!  Well, the common way to castrate now is to 'rubber ring' the bulls and that was my job while Dad held the calf.  It would have been very funny to be a fly on the fencepost listening to the conversation.... ' make sure you get two balls Sus, make sure it's tight, maybe you need to do two rings for this one, not sure Iv'e got both balls......'  Very funny.

The morning finished without a hitch and Max, Jack and I had to herd the cattle back out and down the paddock.  Mum thought it was quite the sight - 2 small bikes and Sus on the postie chasing cattle through the paddocks.  I think the boys thought their mum was 'a bit of ok' after seeing me cruising on my bike - good to know I can still impress them.

How boring will it be to be back working at my desk .......

Max the Musterer




Max and My Machine.....



the working crew

the boys mustering

No comments:

Post a Comment