There are certain events that are seriously tough to be away from Oz for - Christmas, birthdays, funerals, births.... But I wasn't expecting to find Australia Day so tough. But alas it was. I suppose being sick all week in the lead up didn't help !
Last year we invited to another Australia family's house but they have left and we are currently the only Aussies in our gated community - so hosts we became. I asked my mum to buy up big with decorations last January, for me to bring back after our long holiday in July, and we managed to decorate the house quite well.
We had a huge amount of people coming, even with it also being a long weekend in India. As it happens, India Republic Day is the same day as Australia Day, and schools and most businesses close.
With the boys off school and me not working, we planned for a quick trip to Hong Kong, leaving Monday morning at 1am. So celebrations were arranged for one day early, on Sunday. We had about 35 adults and 30 kids around for a barbecue and to learn a few things about their crazy Australian friends. I can only assume they all had fun, as we started at midday and I think the last guest left at 9.45pm, and he probably only left because I had to go and pack to leave for the airport at 10.30pm !!
We had the most amazing food - with most of it sourced locally, which I see as a huge success ! We had garlic and lemon chicken kebabs, marinated steak, sausages, sausages and more sausages !! Some lovely salads provided by my wonderful girlfriends and then 3 pavlovas, chocolate cheesecake and lots of fresh fruit. Who could ask for more ? Well, actually we did have people ask for more and as the afternoon went on it was obvious that the fridge full of leftovers for Mike was never going happen.
Mike started all the males guests' afternoon with an obligatory can of Fosters - I am sure that is what is being blamed for many a sore head on Monday !! I am sure we are keeping the recycling man in business after parties like this and he is grateful of it.
I hope you enjoy a few pics of the boys and our decorations. Hope you all had a fabulous Australia Day :)













No comments:
Post a Comment