Friday, 31 October 2014

The highs and lows of shopping in Bangers

I've often written about the struggles I often face in getting particular items for cooking here in India. Imported items are not always available and when they do come in, we tend to stock up big because it may be the last time we see it for ages, if ever again.

Last year we had access (although sporadically) to rice crackers.  The kids love rice crackers and compared to the readily available spicy Indian snack foods, it was a handy pantry item to have.  They only stocked 3 kinds - salted, cheese and chilli, but we managed all the same.  The stock was never consistent, so if someone saw them, they stocked for all of us - there was a black market of rice crackers.  Then one day it just stopped - no more rice crackers....... It is currently like the Golden Ticket in Willy Wonka - if anyone finds them, they will have struck gold !!

Another example is we have only seen Coke Zero here once in our time in Bangalore.  Then 2 weeks ago my mum saw them in the local shop - Wow!!!  that was super exciting. I bought 3 boxes of them.  Now there are none and I asked the guy if he is getting more - 'sure madam, but don't know when....'  We will have to ration those 3 boxes for quite some time.

So that is how it works but this week I had the struggle and then the joy and then disappointment again.  I have struggled to find lasagne sheets for about 4 months now but am constantly assured that they will be in stock 'soon madam'!  'On order madam'......  So when my Mum and Carol were here and we visited the Shitty for a 'fun afternoon activity', I was, as always, on the lookout for lasagne sheets.  My eagle-eye mum spotted a box in amongst the vinegar and spices - not with the pasta......  YIPPEE !!  I was so happy and looking forward to making a lasagne for the boys on the weekend.

Yesterday, I was merrily making the sauces for the lasagne and went to complete assembly.  Opened the 'magical' box of lasagne sheets and .......... it was completely full of weevils :(  Damn...... what a pain !   Even when I get what I want, I don't get what I want !!

Oh well, onwards and upwards.....

No comments:

Post a Comment