I have had some ongoing issues with my foot and have been unable to run for many many months, which is driving me crazy. On my return from Australia, I decided to try the brand new hospital that has opened just around the corner from our gated community. It is so shiny and new that I got blinded by the image and forgot that inside it was still going to be Indian......
So, for the last 2.5 weeks I have been having daily physio at the hospital to try and avoid the next steps - unfortunately it was to no avail. It is still very bad and I had decided that today was the day to get the very painful cortisone injection into my foot. Then, last night Max was playing at a friends house and fell off the trampoline onto a log on his forearm. Poor thing was bit sad a sorry for himself and a bit swollen. I was fairly sure there was a break in his forearm but Sunday night is not the optimum time for getting a car etc to get to the hospital. So I popped him to bed and waited until this morning to see how it was - mother of the year award coming my way (not).
This morning we headed to the hospital to check Max's arm out and for me to get my injection. I am now going to provide you with the bullet points of events that occurred after entering those shiny new hospital doors. I warn you, this is insane, completely insane, but 100% accurate.
So, for the last 2.5 weeks I have been having daily physio at the hospital to try and avoid the next steps - unfortunately it was to no avail. It is still very bad and I had decided that today was the day to get the very painful cortisone injection into my foot. Then, last night Max was playing at a friends house and fell off the trampoline onto a log on his forearm. Poor thing was bit sad a sorry for himself and a bit swollen. I was fairly sure there was a break in his forearm but Sunday night is not the optimum time for getting a car etc to get to the hospital. So I popped him to bed and waited until this morning to see how it was - mother of the year award coming my way (not).
This morning we headed to the hospital to check Max's arm out and for me to get my injection. I am now going to provide you with the bullet points of events that occurred after entering those shiny new hospital doors. I warn you, this is insane, completely insane, but 100% accurate.
- Max hasn't been registered at the hospital, so we went to Administration and I completed the form whilst standing in line with many people yelling, coughing, sneezing, and pushing in front of me. I took a deep breath, knowing full well, that I was going to be there for many hours with all these people - didn't want to cause a scene this early in the visit.
- The recpetionist asked what I was here for and said he needed an x-ray, and she said we could go straight to X-ray without a consultation and I could pay there.
- X-ray is at the very back of the building, so through we go and I ask to get Max's arm x-rayed - nope, we need to have a consultation first, go and see Dr Reddy (who is actually my Ortho as well)
- So, we walk to the other side of the hospital to see Dr Reddy. The nurses are all very confused when I say I want Max to see him but didn't have a computer appointment. I just said - I'll go in and chat with the doctor, and go and wander into his room.
- The doctor takes a look and says 'i think its broken but we need an X-ray'. He said, firstly you need to got to Admissions and make an appointment, pay the consultation fee and then I can add the X-ray request to the system......... Let's hope he doesn't go to lunch in the next 15 minutes !! Before we leave, I 'think ahead' and say, can I get the details of the drugs I need for my cortisone injection for my foot - good idea he says. He types the details into the system for me to go to the pharmacy - yep, the patient goes and gets the pharmaceuticals and pays for them separately.
- So back to Admissions we go. Pay for Max to have the consultation he has already had.
- Then to the pharmacy for 3 phone calls to the doctor for me to collect and pay for my cortisone and anaesthetic.
- Off to x-ray for Max. He checks the computer, yes, he's in there. Woohoo ! Next desk is payment...... shuffle along and pay for the x-ray, then take a seat and wait. X-ray then done, we are told to head back to Dr Reddy.
- Back to the other side of the hospital - no X-rays in the system for Max....... arghh !!!! Dr Reddy, says 'why don't we do your foot while we wait'? OK.
- You're no going to believe this but we had to go back to Radiotherapy because the doctor wanted to use an Ultrasound scope to be very precise with my injection.
- I just follow the doctor and radiotherapist into the ultrasound room, so have bypassed the X-ray desk. This missed step will come back to haunt me. The procedure is done - albeit a ridiculous experience of the syringe full of cortisone exploding while in my foot - yep in my foot, cortisone everywhere and none actually in my foot. There were people running around to pharmacy's to get more......... I cannot believe I am lying there with half a needle sticking out of my foot awaiting another syringe !! Finally, the injection completed and Dr Reddy runs out the door and says to come to his room.
- Of course, as I hobble out, administration hunt me down to pay for the procedure I have had in the Ultrasound room - more money, more paper....
- Back to the other side of the hospital to Dr Reddy's room and the x-rays are still not on the system. He calls them - no answer, so heads around and looks at the X-rays there. Back again and 'yes' it's broken. He then types ALL the things we need for the cast to be put on and we are sent to the pharmacy - again.
- Over to the pharmacy - multiple phone calls back to the doctor and an actual visit to the doctor, and the pharmacist can give me Max's goods. Oh no, the cashier has gone to lunch....... we have to go to the other side to pay for the goods before taking ownership......
- Back to the Xray department to collect the physical X-rays.
- Back to Dr Reddy and then in to the procedure room to get the cast put on.
- After that is done, we can actually leave the building !!
Wow, what a fun couple of hours that was. I had to write this down, because I am sure no one will actually believe me. Max and I started to get the giggles as we kept wondering around the same halls of the hospital. It was crazy, but the weird thing is, we are getting way too used to this type of thing....
An update on us: Max is doing well, he's a bit embarrassed but he will be fine in 4 weeks. Me : I'm in a lot of pain tonight but hope that in 48 hours things will settle down and hopefully I'll have some relief.
No comments:
Post a Comment