Saturday, 16 November 2013

Jack's New Boots


Jack's feet have grown hugely since we arrived here in India, and his riding boots were getting too tight. Hunting around for boots has been rather time consuming, so I gave up and asked around for the best place to have them made.  The common answer seemed to be, "Go and see 'Babu'".  So off we went to meet Babu and his friends at Babu Footwear.

Anthony didn't know where we were going and left it in my hands to get us there - well Google Maps got us there very nicely. It was down some back streets with nothing but dirt, trash and crumbling houses.  We found Babu and asked for some boots for Jack - 'yes madam'.

He traced his foot, measured his instep etc and then showed him his options - 6 photos of the boots they make - no variations really allowed.  Jack chose the picture and decided on black.

How much Babu ?  Oh, that would be 1500 rupees madam.  Ok, I think we can stretch to $25. And when will the be ready Sir?  1 week madam…. are you serious ??

So on Friday I got the call that the boots were ready, and Mum and I collected them today.  He loves them and they are just perfect for what he needs.  The boys thought the shoe making was very cool - stone benches, old sewing machine, leather knives…….

Babu was a good find.


















No comments:

Post a Comment