Thursday was Halloween, and with so many Americans living in Palm Meadows there was always going to be a fun night ahead. We actually had the boys Diwali performance at school during the day, so I managed to trek up there (1.5 hours) see all the colour and fun of the schools Diwali show and then head home. Left at 11.30, back at 4.30..... exhausted. A good thing to note is that Diwali is as big as our Christmas celebrations and I will write separately on Diwali when the day is actually here.
Max was quite the dancer in his performance and with a big smile he had the crowd eating out of his hands. Jack was the King in his play and did very well, along with looking very 'regal'. It was so lovely to see all the westerners taking part in such a wonderful celebration.
When we got home the boys dressed as there very basic Halloween characters (we are Australian and not Halloween junkies)....... a zombie and Spiderman. We then headed out in the dark to 'get some candy'! Mike wasn't home yet, so we left a large bowl of candy on the front doorstep with a note saying 'Please take some candy but remember there are others coming after you'!! Yeah right !! That bowl was empty before we left the street. I had to try, otherwise we may have had our house egged !
At this point it might be interesting to tell you about some of the 'local residents' of Palm Meadows who are not happy about the Halloween celebrations taking place in India. I have mentioned previously about the 'Colonel' who has a LOT to say on the forums at PM, along with his 'buddies' who don't seem very happy with their expat neighbours and their traditions from varying countries. Even though we are the reason that a place like PM even exists. There is quite a 'them/us' attitude within Palm Meadows, and I would have to say that it is mainly brought on by 'them'. There were emails sent out earlier in the week stating what a horrible tradition Halloween is and that last year there was horrible behaviour by western children and the parents should be ashamed of them. They didn't want to participate and they wish the committee would ban the entire event. Stupidly, they put their house numbers on the emails……… not a good idea with kids hyped up on sugar !!
I find this very hypocritical, given that we are, now 2 days later, being bombarded with firecrackers from 5am to 11pm (and later) for Diwali. Some kids running around in costumes for a couple of hours on one night collecting some candy doesn't seem very significant to the noise and mess being created by Diwali. Don't get me wrong I think the Festival of Lights is great and love all the colour and joy that comes with it but I draw the line at non-stop fireworks !!
Anyway, here are a couple of photos from the Stonehill Diwali celebration (what gorgeous colours) and our Halloween outing. I think I deserve 'Mum of the Year' for doing 2 non-Austrlian traditions in one day…….
 |
| Max and his buddies |
 |
| The boys ready for their Diwali performance |
 |
| Max's class |
 |
| The hall at school - what a melting pot |
 |
| The P1 and P2 (they are 3.5 to 5 years old) |
 |
| Max getting ready to shine |
 |
| Jack as King Janek |
No comments:
Post a Comment