Tuesday, 17 December 2013

I am a horrible mother

The title of this blog says it all - I am a horrible mother and I know it !! Today was the Christmas concert at the boys school along with the annual Bake Sale fundraiser. I was so hopeful that would work would need me so that I had a reason NOT to go!! How awful is that? Are there other mothers out there like me? All I see are mums so proud and gushing with delight as their little one sings out of tune or not at all!!

It's not just the 1.5 hour drive to get there but I really don't enjoy amature performances of kids singing and acting. I can appreciate the effort they put in and the time they spend practicing but I really don't enjoy the actual concert.

I can honestly say that I have felt this way for a long time - I even hated performing in them as a child. I remember the maypole extravaganza at the Allora State School  Fete.....urgh that was horrible. Even when my boys have had important pieces (which has been very rarely) I struggle to make it through.

I often find myself looking for the naughty kid for entertainment. Or, in today's instance, the little 6 year old boy who 'definitely' didn't want to be there!! He had a scowl on his face from the moment he entered and looked at the floor the entire time. I couldn't stop laughing, he was gold!! His mum was not so amused...

Oh, the singing was 'ok', the musical performances were 'nice', and the acting 'alright', but having seen most of the acts 3 weeks ago at the school open performance for the OWC, I struggled. And now the 1.5 hour drive home alone, because my kids would rather ride the bus then come with mum, makes the day even worse.

I don't like these performances at all, give me a soccer competition or swimming carnival any day. 

Not sure this photo captures the little boy's 'mood' but it was the only thing that made me smile..... Horrible mum!! (He is in the light blue sweatshirt with an Angry bird on the front...)










No comments:

Post a Comment