So, it's 9pm and I just got a text message (yes text message) from one (not both) of our class parent representatives at school that there is no school tomorrow!! Seriously, no communication from the actual school but from a parent that there is no school tomorrow...... I was seriously thinking it was some kind of joke - you know, kid grabs mums phone and sends a group text as a laugh!
Why, I hear you ask? Well wait for it.......
The king of Mysore died today. So we are supposed to all be in mourning and the roads will be chaotic with processions from pilgrims etc. Mysore is a good 4 hours away but apparently the king is a big deal and we should be upset. So I now have to sort out childcare arrangements so I can work!!! I suppose the boys will spend the day roaming the Palm Meadows streets with all the other kids - with Lydia in tow. Our poor boys don't have the freedom that a lot of kids have here, I insist that myself, Mike or Lydia are with them when they leave our little street.
Here is the exert from the Bangalore paper on 'the king's death'.
Srikantadatta Narasimharaja Wodeyar, scion of the erstwhile Mysore royal family and the last descendant of the Wodeyar dynasty, died of severe cardiac arrest at a private hospital here today.
Sixty-year old Wodeyar, who had been ailing in recent months, was brought to a private hospital in an unconscious state and doctors' attempts to resusitate him failed, a senior hospital official said.
Sixty-year old Wodeyar, who had been ailing in recent months, was brought to a private hospital in an unconscious state and doctors' attempts to resusitate him failed, a senior hospital official said.
"He was brought around 2 pm. For one and a half hours Dr Ranaganth Naik and four others tried to revive him. But by 3.30 pm. he was declared dead," Dr Madan Kumar, Administrator, Vikram Hospital, told PTI.
The mortal remains of Wodeyar would be cremated at Mysore tomorrow, Home Minister K J George told reporters outside the hospital, adding, the state government has declared a two-day state mourning.
Wodeyar, the only son of Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar, the last ruling Maharaja of Mysore, and his second wife, Maharani Tripura Sundari Ammani Avaru, succeeded his father as the head of his dynasty in September 1974.
The mortal remains of Wodeyar would be cremated at Mysore tomorrow, Home Minister K J George told reporters outside the hospital, adding, the state government has declared a two-day state mourning.
Wodeyar, the only son of Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar, the last ruling Maharaja of Mysore, and his second wife, Maharani Tripura Sundari Ammani Avaru, succeeded his father as the head of his dynasty in September 1974.
I suppose Max's best mate, Taylor will be happy, it's his birthday tomorrow and all the kids can have a 'real' party!! Lucky I didn't have an early night.... no 5.30am wake up for me tomorrow- yippee. And Mike may not be able to get to work due to traffic issues - what a crazy life we lead here.

No comments:
Post a Comment