Monday, 23 December 2013

Personal Space

I don't think I'm alone in wanting my own space - I'm talking personal space! In Australia people tend to respect that - not always but on the most part I didn't have issues with it. The worst it got was the peak hour train to work but that isn't someone's choice to crowd you - just the situation you're thrown into.

Here in India, personal space is a luxury. I'm not sure of its a cultural thing or a 'need' with over a billion living here. I am constantly shocked at the way people stand right at your side and are actually touching you in a line. The worst is at the airport and this week I actually faked a stretch and hit the lady behind me in the face - I wouldn't apologise because she was so close she was touching me! She touchs me, I touch her, HARDER!!

It continues on the plane with 'everyone' putting there seats back reducing your personal space, again. Even in a short flight, they all have the seats back... and the planes are so small that the seat nearly hits you in the head !!

It happens in any form of 'line' - not normally an orderly queue, just a crush of people really. I have had issues getting my prescription filled with the next person in line, standing 'next' to me .....  Maybe I should try it and see if there's any benefit to this crowding.

Another bad one is in the 'line' for the ATM. Don't they say, keep all things private there and don't disclose your PIN? Not likely here !! This usually leads me to having a rant about people pushing in, which is just normal behaviour here in India, but maybe I will leave that for another day.

I love my personal space and I respect others - I so wish it could be instilled here.  Rant over !!

No comments:

Post a Comment