Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Missing Milk.......

One of the things we really miss the most being here in India is beautiful, fresh milk..... yep, its not possible here.  All the milk we drink is 'long-life UHT' milk and it just isn't the same.  We have tried a few and have found one that we can tolerate but due to the taste/smell, I really don't use much - just in my coffee but the boys really miss their milk. Even Milo doesn't taste the same.

You can buy fresh milk and cream but I have never dared.  It is delivered around the city in unrefrigerated bikes or trucks and I would never risk it.  It is packaged in little plastic bags (see below) and I have often seen it sitting in the basket of a motorbike in the sun - so no thanks. And cream would be even worse.


As a little girl we had fresh milk straight from my grandad's dairy and the memories of the beautiful creamy flavor are still strong. I see the cows here and wonder how the milk could ever be healthy...... Grandad's cows were always so healthy and cared for.... Not these poor things ! There is also a large proportion of buffalo milk here - I'm not sure if I'd no the difference or even if it's clear what you're buying.

There have been some statistics in the news recently of a survey done in 2012 by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India suggesting that 70% of the fresh milk in India is contaminated. There are 350 million litres of milk produced every day by more than 150,000 milk producers across India. But with the high risk of contamination families are increasingly switching to organic milk - if they can find it, which is rarely the case.  It seems the milk is being contaminated due to the cows eating the filth and garbage on the sides of the roads. Some testing has been done and traces of paint, detergents, caustic soda, urea and shampoo have been found.  Another reason we will stick to long life packaged milk while we are here.  Along with proper beef steak (not water buffalo), we are very keen on having proper milk when we come home in the summer.

fresh milk in a plastic bag




A beautiful cow sitting in all the garbage - but at least this is food waste - not plastics etc







No comments:

Post a Comment