Sunday, 27 April 2014

Mr poo has a big job ahead of him

I am going to start with a staggering fact:  more than 620 million Indians still defecate in the open - equating to 65 million kilograms of waste daily !  Hope you aren't eating breakfast.........

Another horrifying fact is that 28 million children don't have acces to toilets at school - how crazy is that? You would think that it would be the one place they could 'go' !

I have previously blogged about sanitation here in India but this week there was a UNICEF publication doing the rounds that I thought was so incredibly ridiculous that it might just work. I hope you spend the time watching this video shaking your head - I certainly did.  I am not kidding when I say this might work - UNICEF want people to pledge to Fight Against Public Defecation and these pledges will be taken to the government for action.

On the website the even have a place for you to 'name and shame' places where public defecation is happening. There is an issue of education but the bigger issue is facilities.  Until India overhauls their entire public sewerage infrastructure, this issue will continue. 

I will just continue to 'take it to the loo' and watch where I step.......  Enjoy the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment