I was warned that when we hired a maid and driver that there could be times when their honesty would be questioned..... We were even told that it might be a good idea to keep a family tree going on the births, deaths and marriages in each family. We are very aware that most of the 'events' that we are told about are not true but what I don't understand is, why they just can't ask for a day off. They get paid either way. I would be more than happy to say yes - and I've told them that but no, I have to deal with the lies.
'Public' holidays in India are 'confusing' to say the least. The best I can get to describe it is that people tend to take the ones that mean the most to them - so if you are a devotee to Shiva, then you would have his birthday off but maybe not the Ganesha holiday....... go figure !! I mean Mike doesnt seem to take any of the 'public Indian holidays' off but others do and the schools all take different days off too. It is so very confusing !! So, today is 'Labour Day' in India - I have no idea what shops are open/closed, which schools are open/closed, or whether deliveries will be made or not. What I do know, is that my maid and driver work today - as per their contract - well they are supposed to be......
So, yesterday was pay day for my maid, and today is a 'public holiday' and surprise, surprise, I get a message from her this morning that her grandmother has 'expired'. Well, I think that is the third time she has died in 10 months...... I feel sorry for her because her life is not easy but, I hate to say it, her life could be a LOT worse. Working for an expat is a good deal compared to an Indian family, and all the perks we provide that they seem to forget. I know her husband drinks and spends most of her salary on alcohol, but I don't see how I can fix that, especially if she is lying to me.
My maid and driver have worked together for many years and live near each other too. I told the driver this morning about the death - he just laughed in my face. So I know the truth! Tomorrow will be an interesting morning when she arrives at work...... I really need to get that family tree updated.
No comments:
Post a Comment