Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Time means nothing

It is very hard to live in India if you are a person who hates to be late - and that is me !!!  No one here is regularly on time and there is no issue with that..... it drives me crazy.  Even after 11 months, I cannot stand being late and hate that it is the 'norm' here.

Much of the reason for tardiness in Bangalore is the put down to the horrendous traffic and the unpredictable nature of the traffic!! but it still kills me.   However, it goes further than that - many people don't even apologise for their lateness or provide a reason.  Staff turn up late with a 'head wobble' and go about their duties.  Planes are constantly late and as long as it is 'planned' to be late, all is ok.  No questions asked.

I often have to arrange with the property manager of our rental villa to have workman or repairmen come to the house and I always arrange a specific time and day.  Well, that is as good as useless !  they jut turn up when they want, if at all.  If I happen to not be home 2 hours after the agreed time, and they call me, it is 'quite' the conversation……..

There was even a study done to determine if it was genetic - a gene that made them late, really ??  The study was conducted after the previous Prime Minister was late to an International meeting and was heavily criticised.  His defence was that that the only thing in India to start on time are cricket matches.  This is very similar to my Dad - my Mum used to say that the only time he wasn't late was for a game of polo !!    Not genetic but definitely cultural.

I'm not sure I will ever change, my need for timeliness is too deep set. (my whinge is now over)

No comments:

Post a Comment