Sunday, 18 May 2014

The 'shitty'

I really only have two options for staple grocery item shopping - Natures Basket and Hypercity (commonly known as the shitty, for reasons I will now explain and show). I have to get meat and fish from two other suppliers (not really my choice I make, as that's really the only options available..... 2 in the whole of Banaglore, unless I want to buy a chicken or fish from the side of the road!  Just as a side though, there 'are' other options for 'staples' if I am planning on feeding the family rice and lentils for the month.  Not sure how that would go down with my boys?!?

I try and limit my visits due to the painful headache it creates and the high blood pressure that seems to occur after the event.  Late last week I visited, hopefully for the last time until I get back from Australia, and decided to take some photos to try and explain to you the 'fun I have'.

So the first thing you will notice is it looks great, heaps of 'stuff', reasonably clean, lots of space and also a fair few people shopping there.  But, when you actually go looking for things is when the fun begins.  There is no option for buying in bulk - its all individuals.  If you do find something that you like and are looking for, you should 'stock up', because it will most likely never be seen again.  An example of this is Rice Crackers - one of the only non-indian crackers that the kids would eat. We had them for a number of months but for the last 3 months - no stock.  It is just so frustrating to go shopping and come home with only about two thirds of the things you need/want.

While taking photos with my mobile phone the other day, I had the security guard come and ask me to stop taking photos. - 'not allowed madam' !!  Seriously, what is that going to do ??  Of course, I ignore him and kept going but I do apologise for the quality of the photos.

The next funny thing is deciphering what it is that I am actually looking at:

Maida = flour
Chana = chickpeas
Chawal = rice
Kaju = Cashew
Methi = Fenugreek
Paneer - Cottage Cheese

And then there are items that I just have no idea what I would actually ever do with - below is a very blurry picture of something, and I had no idea what I would do with it.  Apparently, it's called Tinda and it is a Baby Indian Pumpkin but it is even smaller than an apple.

There is always loud music playing - usually Bollywood style and by the end of the shop, you are nearly over the edge.  the next frustrating aspect of the shopping experience is that you have to have your fruit and vegetables weighed and priced prior to going to the checkout - only one person working and the process is never complete without someone (usually male) jumping the queue !  Until I say something…….

And finally, the scanning process is nothing short of ridiculous.  My mum didn't believe me until she came with me and experienced it for herself.  Really, a must do if you ever get the chance to shop in India.

It looks impressive but really its just a whole lot of nothing. There is nothing in this photo
I would actually buy.
Of course, they would be selling fake plants.....

This is how you buy Pepsi (when it is actually in stock) by the bottle, no cases......
 and no refrigeration  --  mmmmm, warm pepsi !!
A whole aisle of Masala crisps - just one big row of chilli crisps !

The milk aisle - yes that is a small bag of Slim Milk

Oh and there are two aisles dedicated to Ghee and all other Oil - just so much grease !

Two aisles of lentils

You are very lucky that I braved the 'cold' room where there is some fish - surely not edible.......

and this is the International section - still nothing....

These are the Indian version of 'ready meals' available - mmmmm
I always say it ' this country runs on onions'

and more onions

Anyone for a Banana Flower ?

This is the only options for garbage bags - no wonder the roads are lined with trash !! 

Yep, these are BBQ chickens……. oh dear God, I pray for anyone who has eaten this...

One of the frustrating things is if something is on a special with 'add-ons' taped to it - there is no option to buy
the single item - its an all or nothing deal until everything is gone!

the snack counter

these are the 'tinda' baby indian pumpkins ??

anyone for a small bottle of oil ??


special ???

and, of course, huge bags of rice !!
Many many different types of gourd - not really a favourite of mine......

Chillis, chillis, chillis

This is where, if you dare, you can buy pickle for the side of your curry - just to burn your mouth even more

And this is the carpark floor where you are to push your trolley over - and the entire floor
is like this - impossible !



No comments:

Post a Comment