This is our second Christmas in Bangalore and when I look back on last year, I think about how much we have learned and how much we have grown. Knowing this is our last Christmas in India, we knew we wanted to travel a bit earlier in December, prior to Christmas, to allow me to get 'thing's ready for Christmas Day. Shopping and prepping for Christmas day with all the trimmings is just that much harder in a country that doesn't really celebrate Christmas. Locating, and storing the Christmas staples takes more than one supermarket shop - in fact, its more like 8-9 visits to different places for all that is needed/wanted.
However, in saying that, there are certain things that are available for sale at this time of year in Bangalore - one being the beautiful paper/cardboard stars that can be bought in all sizes and colours. It is so lovely to hang them outside, and we when we have more 'trustworthy' power, I will attempt at rigging up a light inside -they are just gorgeous and ridiculously cheap, considering!
The other item that is super cheap is flowers ! I just love flowers and for me, it is one way of decorating a house very quickly. On Wednesday, the boys and I went to one of the local florists and bought the below flowers: Red and white carnations, yellow roses and a bunch of beautiful Tuberoses for about $12. It is such a lovely way of celebrating and enjoying the 'not so pretty' aspects of living in India.
Anyway, I managed to pull together a full Christmas lunch with baked ham, roast chicken, baked veggies and steamed greens. Followed by one of my best Christmas puddings (even if I do say so myself) with brandy sauce and ice cream. Don't forget the couple of hidden bottles of amazing Australian red wine and champagne.
The boys were spoiled rotten from funds supplied from home - I went shopping for most people and the tree was heavily packed with gifts. I, as always, was spoiled beyond my worth by Mike, the boys and family. Thank you all very much. Mike didn't do so well under the tree, as he is a typical male, and just buys things when he needs them. Hopefully when we are in Hong Kong it will be a little easier to shop for him !!
The afternoon was full of backyard cricket and playing with new toys - as all good Christmas should be. We definitely miss family at this time of year but we manage to celebrate in style and will continue to do so when we move to Hong Kong. New Years will be very quiet for us with most of our expat friends travelling at this time of year - we may head out and find some fireworks for us to have in the garden, but that's about it.
Hope this finds everyone happy and healthy at Christmas. xxxx
 |
| I know they are carnations, but they looked SO christmassy ! |
 |
| I'm trying to teach the boys that flowers are 'the best' gift EVER ! |
 |
| These smell so beautiful - i love them |
 |
| They look SO big in front of the tree ! |
 |
| new hat ! |
 |
| Max the Clown |
 |
| New cricket bats |
 |
| and ...... action |
 |
| nearly ready for Christmas lunch |
 |
| family shot - 2014 |
 |
| Baked ham |
 |
| roasted veggies |
 |
| The local decorations for christmas - haven't thought of Santa delivering via hot air balloon |
 |
| The craziest looking Santa at our clubhouse. I have no idea why his legs are like that........ |
 |
| more local decorations...... and Max |
No comments:
Post a Comment