Sometimes I forget just how lucky I am to have this opportunity to live abroad, and then other times I just wish to be back at home in Australia. The events of the last few weeks - the siege in Sydney, the family murders in North Queensland, the ongoing issues in the Middle East and now another plane missing - these all make me wish I was living a simpler, quieter life in little old Petersham.
We have thoroughly enjoyed the challenges of living here in India, and have very rarely felt unsafe. That is until last night.
Last night, there was a 'low intensity bomb' exploded here in Bangalore, and is being classified as a terrorist attack. In fact, it was across the street from where the boys and I had coffee last Wednesday after visiting the customs post office. The girls and I often have lunch in this street when we go to town, and my Mum and I had lunch near there when she was here in Bangalore. One lady was killed and 3 others were injured as they walked down the street. It was a 'dirty bomb' planted behind pot plants on the street - just too simple.
I have always said I will never live in fear of these people - you could die in a car accident anywhere, anytime, so I'm not going to try and hide from 'terrorists'. It just isn't the way I was raised - you just get on with your life and be as safe as you can within reason. This incident just made me want to hug the boys a bit tighter today, and maybe lay a little low for New Years Eve. I don't see India as a dangerous place - yes, you have to be sensible when you are alone or out at night, and when you are in an unknown city but I don't see that as any different to other major cities I have visited outside of India. The scary thing about this bomb was that it was planted on the side of the footpath in a very busy commercial street and detonated on one of the busiest nights.
Security has been tightened - even more than it usually is here with cars being checked a little closer and more visible police on the streets. We will continue to live the way we do without taking any unnecessary risks.
Security has been tightened - even more than it usually is here with cars being checked a little closer and more visible police on the streets. We will continue to live the way we do without taking any unnecessary risks.
Here are the details of the bombing from last night:
http://indianexpress.com/article/cities/bangalore/woman-killed-in-bangalore-blast-had-extended-her-holiday/
No comments:
Post a Comment