There are many reasons why we have said 'don't bother trying to send things to us via the post here in India', even though we love the idea of getting gifts and hearing from loved ones. In India it's just too hard. Most of our expat friends never receive any post - so I count myself lucky that I have received at least 4 parcels in my 18 months of living in Bangalore. A number have gone astray and I'm sure a little customs guy is thoroughly enjoy those!! My parcels from the UK have never been seen - sorry Ray.
So when I heard that a Christmas gift had been posted to us from Australia (thanks Mum) I held little chance that it would ever arrive at this time of year. I was sure that the little fingers in the postal department are aware that it's Christmas time and all these international parcels are full of goodies!! Which equates to most of them not arriving.....
So, imagine my surprise when there was a ring at the door and it was a postman....
Argh, but no parcel - just a formal notice to say Customs had confiscated my parcel and I need to prove what it is , how much it cost, receipts etc - well that's what I thought the letter said as 80% of it was in Hindi!
Yesterday, I went to the local post office to try and collect the parcel - 'no madam, not here, post office in town'..... ugh, that is just too hard. Oh but it's the boys Christmas present from Ma and Pop, so we had to go - Road Trip boys !!
Of course, the Customs Department is only open from 3-5pm Monday to Friday...... not sure what they do for the rest of the day?? So our day was planned around a 3 hour drive in/out of town and then however long it would be at the Post Office. We arrive, even with Anthony confusing the entire process of driving there but that is a whole other blog !
We head inside, and look for a lift or stairwell to the 3rd floor as stated on the document - nope, nothing. Jack calls it quickly - 'just ask Mum, it will be quicker'. So I ask a lady behind the desk (yes I jumped the queue) and she waved towards the left.... so off we went. We couldn't see anything but continued to hunting until Max yells, 'I think it's this way guys' - behind the postal counter and out the back into the stairwell. There was a lift but it didn't look like it had worked recently, or ever at all ! So the stairs, it was. Up three flights, no security, no signs, nothing. Oh, except for all the urine in the corners of each level of the stairwell - eeeekkkk, it's so gross and it stunk !!
Arriving at the 3rd floor and there were 2 men sitting on chairs waiting, and a man wandering around looking formal. He told me I was early (2.50pm) and to take a seat. The boys sat on the dirtiest sofa I have ever seen, even when I begged them to stand or sit on my lap. The man even told them the sofa was dirty - ARGH !!
Once we were called another lady wanted to know what was in the parcel - Christmas presents for my boys..... nope, where is the receipt, what is in there, how much is it worth? You will need to pay duty Madam....... This discussion went on for quite some time and then she mentions there are 2 watches in there - I say 'well, if they are for my boys, they won't be worth much - just kids toys'. No madam, expensive..... I continue to argue with her and she continues to ask questions. After quite some time she tells me I am 'nice lady' and I don't need to pay duty. woo hoo !!
'Where can I collect the parcel ?'
'Oh no, madam, it has to be delivered by the postman !!'
'So where is the parcel?'
'On level 2 madam'
'Can't I just collect it from there while I am already here ?'
'No madam........'
'How long will the delivery take ?'
'Only 3-4 weeks madam'
'Sorry? Is a snail delivering it ? It can't be that long ?!'
'Oh 3-4 days madam'
Argh - kill me now !! I am still convinced she changed the timeframe just to get rid of me........ I will keep you 'posted' as to whether it arrives in time for Thursday !
Thanks again mum - another adventure in India xoxo
Yesterday, I went to the local post office to try and collect the parcel - 'no madam, not here, post office in town'..... ugh, that is just too hard. Oh but it's the boys Christmas present from Ma and Pop, so we had to go - Road Trip boys !!
Of course, the Customs Department is only open from 3-5pm Monday to Friday...... not sure what they do for the rest of the day?? So our day was planned around a 3 hour drive in/out of town and then however long it would be at the Post Office. We arrive, even with Anthony confusing the entire process of driving there but that is a whole other blog !
We head inside, and look for a lift or stairwell to the 3rd floor as stated on the document - nope, nothing. Jack calls it quickly - 'just ask Mum, it will be quicker'. So I ask a lady behind the desk (yes I jumped the queue) and she waved towards the left.... so off we went. We couldn't see anything but continued to hunting until Max yells, 'I think it's this way guys' - behind the postal counter and out the back into the stairwell. There was a lift but it didn't look like it had worked recently, or ever at all ! So the stairs, it was. Up three flights, no security, no signs, nothing. Oh, except for all the urine in the corners of each level of the stairwell - eeeekkkk, it's so gross and it stunk !!
Arriving at the 3rd floor and there were 2 men sitting on chairs waiting, and a man wandering around looking formal. He told me I was early (2.50pm) and to take a seat. The boys sat on the dirtiest sofa I have ever seen, even when I begged them to stand or sit on my lap. The man even told them the sofa was dirty - ARGH !!
Once we were called another lady wanted to know what was in the parcel - Christmas presents for my boys..... nope, where is the receipt, what is in there, how much is it worth? You will need to pay duty Madam....... This discussion went on for quite some time and then she mentions there are 2 watches in there - I say 'well, if they are for my boys, they won't be worth much - just kids toys'. No madam, expensive..... I continue to argue with her and she continues to ask questions. After quite some time she tells me I am 'nice lady' and I don't need to pay duty. woo hoo !!
'Where can I collect the parcel ?'
'Oh no, madam, it has to be delivered by the postman !!'
'So where is the parcel?'
'On level 2 madam'
'Can't I just collect it from there while I am already here ?'
'No madam........'
'How long will the delivery take ?'
'Only 3-4 weeks madam'
'Sorry? Is a snail delivering it ? It can't be that long ?!'
'Oh 3-4 days madam'
Argh - kill me now !! I am still convinced she changed the timeframe just to get rid of me........ I will keep you 'posted' as to whether it arrives in time for Thursday !
Thanks again mum - another adventure in India xoxo
![]() |
| The main Customs office.... with the man in charge |
![]() |
| The boys waiting patiently on the most 'questionable' sofa around. and lots of 'post' just lying around |
![]() |
| The entrance to the Customs department |
![]() |
| The exit...... |
![]() |
| and the stairwell up to the Customs department - yes that corner has been used as a toilet. Every corner up to the third floor had been !!!! |





No comments:
Post a Comment