Tuesday, 29 October 2013

Cards, paper, ribbon - and some extras

Here in India it is not that easy to find nice cards and wrapping paper - so don't expect any post from us for two years. It is only really available in most stores when there is a festival on.  So, currently we are in the lead up to Diwali, so there are shops full of candles, paper, cards, nuts and candy - all to be given as gifts over the festival time.  It is as big as Christmas back at home. In saying that, the quality and styles are not really what I like and I don't really want products that are 'Diwali specific'.

I have had a few birthdays and other gifts to buy and wrap while I have been here and I found it rather difficult to find nice paper and cards.  Initially, I found it impossible but then realised it was not festival time, so they only stocked this kind of thing in book stores, and a small section of the supermarket.  After 4 months and quite a bit of socialising I have learnt to hunt out the good stuff by asking a million questions (often at very weird and inappropriate times) but it has to be done.

The result of one of these oddly timed questions was the discovery of a small store not far from Palm Meadows called Temple Tree.  They stock the most beautiful paper goods that I have ever seen.  The paper itself is just gorgeous, but the cards, boxes, gift bags, frames and all things paper and material are just lovely.  So today I ventured in and stocked up - when you find somewhere like this, and you're a westerner, they just love to get your business.  They have a website too (http://templetreepaper.com) which will come in very handy.  They are not cheap (in Indian terms) but the quality is great !

I have tried to take pictures but am sure I do not do their goods justice.  It really is the small things that put a smile on my face these days.

I also popped into a shop that upcycles and recycles goods.  I bought a really nice wooden tray, and two art pieces for our very white walls in our big house.  Hope you like them - I'm sure my Mum and Mother-in-law will have a ball shopping here…. hope they have big suitcases ?!

some of the gorgeous card sets and bags available

a closeup of the paper

the paper detail



















Elephant window hanging 
The paper is gorgeous










The gorgeous coffee tray

brass tile inserts

The wall art

No comments:

Post a Comment