Sunday, 9 February 2014

Thank goodness for the support

Apologies for my lack of blogging lately - life is fairly crazy at the minute but promise to try and make more time for you all :)

I am a very independent person (I can hear my mother nodding in agreement from Australia) and I very rarely ask for help. In fact, I have often thought that asking for help was a sign of weakness and I never felt comfortable asking.  Even if it ended up meaning I got hurt, stressed, overloaded, exhausted, or just plain grumpy.  However, our move to India and the subsequent challenges I have faced, have made me realise that I often need to put my hand up and say 'help' !!  and I am also incredibly fortunate that when I raise my hand, there are usually 5 or 6 people ready to lend a hand.

I am so very lucky to have made some wonderful friends here in Bangalore that help me get through so many of the challenging times of our assignment.   Their kindness and helping hands come in many forms - it can be appearing at the door with a bottle of wine, a lunch invitation to a new restaurant, an exercise partner, a box of brownies, a photography invitation, a hot cup of coffee, or just an ear to listen.  They are all so very very welcome.

I never realised just how much these wonderful friends would influence me and be a huge part of our lives.  India can be challenging in many ways but it is also a whole lot of fun when you have a great group of friends.  Last night we went to a place called 'Counter Culture' which showcases a lot of local bands and friends of ours are into the music scene, so we went as a big group.  It was so much fun listening to some Aussie Rock in India - the ACDC covers went off !!  The great mix of people with us made for yet another memorable experience while here.

Unfortunately, the nature of the expat life in India is one of 'change', with many of the good friends I have made in the last 7 months leaving in the summer.  So, when we come back from Australia in August, at least 3 close friends will have returned home or moved on to another posting.  I cannot believe how quickly we have become close and that my days are all the better for bumping in to them on the street, at the gym or bootcamp, at the bus stop etc.  I so hope that we can continue to stay in touch and maybe even visit in Holland, Sweden, America or Korea.

Of course, with families leaving Bangalore, it also means a lot of new families will arrive for they stint abroad.  So I look forward to opening my arms to these newcomers, like so many have done for us in the last 7 months.

We are not eternal expats and I don't think I will ever get used to the idea of 'where to next'?  It is an odd mentality and I can only imagine that it creates a very different type of personality in the wives, husbands and children of these families.  We were discussing last night the 'uniqueness' of the couple that agrees to move to a location like India.  You do not say 'yes' to this easily or without a frank and open discussion on the impacts it will have on your life and relationship.  I am happy to say that it appears that most couples here are very good friends and like us, are here on an adventure together.  Ov course, not all things are done as a couple but it is so nice that most couples are happy and united.  Obviously, it is not all 'roses' but to make this move, means you must be a team.

I hope that if we move again after these 2 years in India, that I can have half the expat experience that I have had here.  These people are 'special'.

No comments:

Post a Comment