Of the many things that I was anxious about finding to here in India, was a decent hairdresser. I had been told that so many of the 'blonde' ladies had so many issues because the hairdressers are so eager to make them 'VERY blonde' - to the point of bleaching until they are 'white'. Not a lot of fun for the blondes.
The first hairdresser I saw was 'ok' but just not great. Then I met the lovely Dolma. She works here at the Palm Meadows clubhouse, so nice and close for me to walk to. She is so quick and does a great job that she is in hot demand - even by some of the blondes. For me, she is perfect, quick and talented and even tries to help me with all my hair loss form the last 7 months.
This visit it was so quiet when I went that I was the only one in the salon and Dolma and I had the opportunity to chat. Her story. She is of Tibetan heritage and her parents escaped the war in Tibet prior to Dolma being born and they were provided with placement at a refuge camp here in India. They subsequently moved to another Tibetan refuge camp in the south of India and have been there for most of Dolma's life. Her parents insisted that she and her sister applied themselves at school and had aspirations for a 'proper' job. She decided on a career in beauty and put herself through beauty school by moving to Bangalore on her own and studying here - a big deal for a Tibetan girl 20 years ago.
She and her husband now have 2 children, a girl 13 and a son 7. The little girl has now been sent to a Tibetan refuge school in the north of India, as that is where the 'better Tibetan' schools are. So she is away from her family for months at a time in at school. They cannot afford to visit her or for her to fly home regularly so it is usually only 3 or 4 times a year. Their son lives with his grandparents in the south about 6.5 hours drive from Bangalore. Dolma works 3 weeks on with no leave and then takes a week and goes home to her family. The bus ride is about 7.5 hours all up and she does this alone every 3 weeks to provide money and support to her parents and son. Her husband has recently joined a Tibetan army and is also away for long periods of time away from the family.
And with all this 'isolation' Dolma always has the biggest smile and the loveliest attitude in her workplace. To top this off, she told me the saddest times for her are when all the lovely 'madams' have to leave to go home to their home country. What a lovely lady she is and how lucky I am to have her to remind me of just how lucky I am to have my family together and the opportunity to make the choices I have. She is such a strong and dedicated mum, wife and daughter.
Oh and my hair looks good and I am not too dark or too light - sometimes blondes do not have all the fun.
The first hairdresser I saw was 'ok' but just not great. Then I met the lovely Dolma. She works here at the Palm Meadows clubhouse, so nice and close for me to walk to. She is so quick and does a great job that she is in hot demand - even by some of the blondes. For me, she is perfect, quick and talented and even tries to help me with all my hair loss form the last 7 months.
This visit it was so quiet when I went that I was the only one in the salon and Dolma and I had the opportunity to chat. Her story. She is of Tibetan heritage and her parents escaped the war in Tibet prior to Dolma being born and they were provided with placement at a refuge camp here in India. They subsequently moved to another Tibetan refuge camp in the south of India and have been there for most of Dolma's life. Her parents insisted that she and her sister applied themselves at school and had aspirations for a 'proper' job. She decided on a career in beauty and put herself through beauty school by moving to Bangalore on her own and studying here - a big deal for a Tibetan girl 20 years ago.
She and her husband now have 2 children, a girl 13 and a son 7. The little girl has now been sent to a Tibetan refuge school in the north of India, as that is where the 'better Tibetan' schools are. So she is away from her family for months at a time in at school. They cannot afford to visit her or for her to fly home regularly so it is usually only 3 or 4 times a year. Their son lives with his grandparents in the south about 6.5 hours drive from Bangalore. Dolma works 3 weeks on with no leave and then takes a week and goes home to her family. The bus ride is about 7.5 hours all up and she does this alone every 3 weeks to provide money and support to her parents and son. Her husband has recently joined a Tibetan army and is also away for long periods of time away from the family.
And with all this 'isolation' Dolma always has the biggest smile and the loveliest attitude in her workplace. To top this off, she told me the saddest times for her are when all the lovely 'madams' have to leave to go home to their home country. What a lovely lady she is and how lucky I am to have her to remind me of just how lucky I am to have my family together and the opportunity to make the choices I have. She is such a strong and dedicated mum, wife and daughter.
Oh and my hair looks good and I am not too dark or too light - sometimes blondes do not have all the fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment