Saturday, 22 March 2014

My very Indian medical visit

I haven't been too well of late - maybe it's my age ........ Or maybe India has just got to me.,.

Anyway, I have had a very sore foot for the last few months and when I run any distance, I return hobbling. I blamed an incident last year where I jumped from Jack's bunk-bed ladder down onto the marble floor (stupid, I know) and hurt my foot. It's got gradually worse to the point of me feeling 100 years old when I wake up in the morning and try and walk.... Limp, limp, limp.....

Then, in addition to my foot problem, the last couple of weeks my headaches have been near unbearable. I didn't really know why they were so bad, but given my back history and my lack of attention given to it over the last 8 months, I'm not surprised it's flaired up.  Unfortunately, finding good people here in Bangalore to help has been a struggle. The chiropractor I went to was useless and massages are just not getting to the heart of he problem.  So, I have been asking around and I was given the name of an Acupressurist in town. So, yesterday off I ventured.

Wow, was it Indian !! The outside (see below) did not fill me with confidence but I  kept repeating the mantra 'don't judge a book by its cover' as I walked in.  The receptionist didn't speak a word of English and just waved me through to the back.  There was a corridor full of Indian people all looking very sick - it then dawned on me that i was in a General Medical Practice.... Maybe I'd gone in the wrong door, but no.  The Acupressurist was down the back - hires two rooms in this dirty, dusty and smelly building.  He pops his head out, 'Take a seat madam'. 'Urghhhh, I'm ok, thanks, I'll just stand.'  And then in I went to this bare and dusty room, hoping I hadn't caught anything from the waiting room alone.

The doctor (and, I have to say, qualifications are always questionable here....) was reasonably young and very keen to get to know Miss Susie. However, no notes were taken, last names were not exchanged, just 'what's the issue, where are you paining.' So, I explain my issues and he decided to start with my foot.  After I stood up and he watched me pointing to the 'paining area', he got me to lie down and he chose three points and I am crying in pain (actually screaming like a baby). However, he is working on my calf, not my foot !  Madam, the problem is your calf muscle not foot - really ?  Ok, sir but I really think it's my foot...... 15 minutes of acupressure and then 10 minutes of IFT (inter ferential therapy, which is using mid-frequency currents to help with muscle issues) I could already feel a difference.  I was so excited, if only this magician could help with my headaches.

He then starts pressing around my knock and upper back....' Oh dear madam' !!  He is horrified by the knots and tightness in my neck and back.  So he started massaging and pressing for ages and then more IFT, and I was feeling like I was battered and bruised all over. I didn't feel any immediate effects with the headaches but could feel that he had 'stirred things up'. There are no quick solutions to this but he gave me confidence that he can genuinely help.

So, he was very excited about his new patient and we agreed for me to come back on Monday.  He said goodbye and I politely said, 'argh, how much and where do I pay.' He replies, 'Oh, at the front desk and 300 rupees'.  I nearly died, I was there for 1.5 hours and it was costing me $5.50 !!!! I couldn't believe it.

So, one day on and I am actually feeling a bit better - bruised but better. And have the hope that with a number of visits I might be feeling 'less than forty' very soon. x







No comments:

Post a Comment