Saturday, 29 March 2014

A stroll through the local village, Ramagondanhalli houses.

As I'm currently on doctors orders for no running, I thought I would go on a long morning walk with my camera and a fellow ex-pat.  We went for a stroll through the local village of Ramagondanahalli which is directly opposite the Palm Meadows gate, and the contrast in lifestyles is too ridiculous for words.  However, one of the things that really struck me as beautiful today was the pride that many of the Indians have in their very simple homes.  The footpaths directly outside the front door are neatly swept, there is a rangoli on each doorstep, the paint work is fresh (and very bright) and the family work together to make this happen.  I still think the women do the bulk of the work but it was nice to see some fathers spending time with children and even a couple collecting water.

I had a bit of a theme going on today - houses, so there are lots of photos of houses - I hope you can appreciate the beauty in these and how it brings joy to so many.  The colours are just beautiful and, with a backdrop of the rich clay soil and palm trees, how pretty is it ?  We were, once again, mobbed by children wanting their photos taken, and also the mothers pushing their children forward for photos.  Even though, here in Whitefield there are a number of ex-pat communities, we are still a novelty with our white skin, and probably our big cameras.  It is a constant chorus of 'hello madam', from all the little children, running around with huge smiles on their faces, hopping for us to shake their hand and take their photo.

I wish you could all experience the five senses from my morning walk.

Sight - obviously you're getting this in some form through my photos, however I think the colours and contrasts are even greater in real life.

Smell - and mostly of the bad variety.  Oh my goodness, there were times today where I gagged !! Raw sewerage, dog poo, stagnant water, piles of rotting garbage......

Sound - India is constant barrage of noises, horns, temple music, bells, whistles, children screaming, people yelling on their mobile phones, motorbikes, tuk tuks, but mainly horns beeping and music blasting !

Touch/Feel- I try to avoid touching too much but I suppose walking on the uneven surfaces, broken footpaths, warrants feeling.

Taste - once again I don't try to taste too much but given the dust, I often return home with a very gritty taste in my mouth from all the dust....

A lovely morning, the only thing missing was a friendly cow - they must have been down town somewhere - no pastures for them!

Storage is optional - so the roof is often the best place

A rupee for his thoughts


This old man was outside  one of the temples


Reading the paper, brushing your teeth on the balcony in the sun.
 

What gorgeous colours


Oh so sweet


Yellow is very popular and is gorgeous in the morning light


Lining up for water - a precious commodity in any form.


A newly painted temple - the painter was alerted by his son that two white ladies were in the village and he came to find us so he could show us his painting handywork.


so many many colours in the temples


Wow, that is ORANGE !!


Not all things have a new life


The daily rangoli outside her home


Mumma was looking on


yep, there are a couple of families living in this one


Another example of a well kept, tidy home
 

Watching the world (well the white lady) go by.......
 
He will push this cart selling 'provisions' for miles in a day



Varthur Lake - look at the colour of the water - oh my the smell was CRAZY !!
 

you cannot quite see but the trailer is full of women going to work.  Also, checkout the wheel wobble.


Yes, that is all pollution and the locals drink this water and eat fish from this lake !!


The local urinal - great privacy ? Oh, and those grey tubes don't lead to drains.... just the ground.
Be lucky this isn't 'smellavision'


I loved this house - so neat and tidy


This little girl was so sweet and had lost her first tooth - so no big grin for me.


Nice way to finish the building off - these are everywhere


morning duties


I do love a good door - or an old door for that matter


One of the many local temples


Apparently the scaffolding has been there for the last 18 months


Water collection - not sure where the water is coming from - I just hope it's not from
Varthur Lake (photo below) which is heavily polluted, mainly with raw sewerage


What a pretty blue house and, so well maintained


The detailed painting in this one made it stand out
 
Yet another door - I think I may start a 'book of doors'



WOW - Green !!


I can't wait to go back and see this one when it's finished and ALL pink.


Contrasts......


Not sure what he had inside but I think he was off to set up a stall somewhere


No back yard for a clothesline - so the front wall it is !

No comments:

Post a Comment