Saturday, 8 March 2014

Our new local ....

Not so long ago, our local restaurant 'Like that Only' closed down and moved to a location closer to the city.  It was a very sad day for many of us expats, who frequented often.  They had a great menu, great food and a fabulous atmosphere where you tended to linger a little longer than you really needed too.  So I was very excited to here of a new place opening only 100 metres further down the dusty road.

It is called 153 Biere Street and has a 'piazza like' atmosphere with little shops and stalls selling food and crafts, and then 2 restaurants - 'The Biere Club' and 'Mustard & Cress'.  We decided to go and check it out today knowing that they haven't completely 'opened' but that the food was getting a good wrap.  I thought the microbrewery had opened, but alas, they are still waiting for their licence to come through to allow them to brew their own beer and, in true Indian style, the date is unconfirmed !!   Could be days but could be months given the upcoming elections that are likely to impact a lot of development in the coming months.  They can still sell alcohol just not commence using the microbrewery.

We ate at Mustard & Cress and the food was fabulous - wood fire pizzas, burgers, salads and soups and my favourite option - the Tiffin Box.  I forgot to take a photo of the Tiffen box but this is the traditional manner for wives to have lunch delivered to their husbands - small metal containers which clip together.  The top usually has a salad or fruit, the second is your entree style meal, and then  the main is in the bottom.  Usually all small portions, and I love the concept of trying 3 small portions of different types of Indian food.  I am planning on grabbing some of the boxes to bring home - I think they are a fabulous idea and in Mumbai, the Tiffen men are still relied upon heavily to collect and deliver hundreds of thousands of meals each day to the office workers.

The verdict on 153 Biere Street was 'great' and when the brewery is up and running, I can see some long afternoons in the courtyard with friends and kids.
the entrance growing herbs and small plants


The small street way of shops


Max and Daddy


My gorgeous boys


Last lunch out with Nana and Papa


The Nairns


A sample Tiffen Box

No comments:

Post a Comment