Tuesday, 10 June 2014

What have I learned in 12 months ?

So, nearly a year has passed by and living in India has taught me so much. As I travel home for the summer holidays (in wintery Australia) I am spending the airport time pondering the things India has taught me.

Patience and impatience: oh yes, I have more patience then I ever deemed possible dealing with the day to day living in India. However, I have also become extremely impatient and intolerant of certain things. I am hoping my patience will win through in the end.

I have learned to 'embrace the chaos' because if I don't then chaos will follow me home. Some days when I am out shopping or going to school the chaotic roads, shopping centres, queues, etc can really get to you but I have learned (most of the time) to just accept the mahem and to enjoy the structure, routine and peacefulness of our home.

Noise - I thought I might be immune by now - not a chance ! It is constant even driving late at night to the airport..... Horns, music, whistles, mufflers, trucks !!

Time means nothing - but it does to me 😃

One major lesson I learned very early on is that I cannot fix all problems that come to me. I would love to be able to help more, with so many tragic stories but I know my small assistance helps in a big way. I am sure I could do more to help many people and this is something I struggle with often.

How to go from 0-11 to get what I want when things are heading south - Mike has taught me that one 😃 and he uses it regularly.

How to manage travelling with kids with no decent snack goods - wow these boys have adapted so very well and we are very proud of them for it.

Friendships can form quickly and that doesn't mean it's any less of a friendship.  We are sharing a wonderful experience together and those bonds will last.  And one of the most important things I've learned is that the people make the experience not the place.

Security is everywhere but not necessarily making me feel safe !! Even at the airport.......

You can learn something from everybody (well almost everybody, not sure what the security guards at the end of my street have taught me)?

Aircon in 38 degrees is a luxury - and one I have been missing too much lately.

Fresh water is NOT always available, and when I see people collecting water from very unsanitary sources I feel humbled.

Learn to make yourself happy - you aren't owed anything!! 

A smile can always make you feel better - Indian children smile so much it's lovely.

No doubt , our first year in India has been tough but it has also been very rewarding. I'm looking forward to 8 weeks at home and then coming back to discover more  of this great country 👳


No comments:

Post a Comment