Today I had the privilege of visiting the Dastkar Nature Bazaar in Bangalore. It is an exhibition of over 100 craft groups, small producers and designers from all over India with a particular focus on natural and organic products from their region.
There were also cultural performances and workshops in pottery, beadwork etc. but these were mainly for small children's groups. We were quite surprised at how quite it was and that it was not highly advertised, as some of the products were really good, albeit a bit expensive for my liking.
Each stall had some documentation on what they were selling and how it was produced and it was very interesting to see the differences in the products used to make the same products. For example, bags which were similar in style but made from cotton, jute, banana fibre etc. The individual processes and resources are native to the area they were made. Another great example was the jewellery made from silver, seeds, paper mach, beads, brass etc
The fair was sold to me as having organic products etc, so I was quite excited after seeing the quality of produce at the supermarket yesterday but, alas, not a piece of fruit in sight. There was a couple of stalls selling oils and soaps but no other items. My reality of 'bad produce' has hit home very quickly......
However, I bought a few things, mainly Pokeno gifts, but I often feel at these places that I am buying for the sake of buying. I know it isn't much money but how many bags, elephants, sarees, can one girl have? All in all, a fun day out with great friends.
 |
| These clay masks were from Rajasthan |
 |
| So much beautiful jewellery and these were costed by the weight of the silver |
 |
These rugs were huge and were beautifully made but a bit too expensive and I think they saw the white ladies coming |
 |
| brass brass everywhere....... |
 |
| All handmade and very good quality work |
 |
| Such gorgeous colours |
 |
| the pottery work was just no my kind of thing, but he was a busy man later in the day |
 |
| I LOVED these cotton bags and really wanted to buy one as a laundry basket for the boys |
 |
| The things they can do with banana fibre ???? |
 |
| The colours of Kashmir |
 |
| These earrings were from Orissa |
 |
| This lady was amazing and so happy to pose |
 |
| The hair clips and jewellery were so heavy |
 |
| Block printing blocks - every shape and size |
 |
| Only in India would this be advertised...... |
 |
| thousands of necklaces made from all sorts of materials |
 |
| Obviously to stop the 'paining' that Max is always talking about......... |
 |
| I have one of these lamps and love it - every size and colour |
 |
| An embroidered bedspread from Rajasthan |
 |
| The blue pottery famous from Jaipur |
No comments:
Post a Comment