This is a very fun and colourful time of the year here in India. It is the lead up to Ganesh Chaturthi on the 29th August when the Indians celebrate the birthday of Lord Ganesha. Here in Bangalore, there is a place aptly called 'Pottery Town' where all the clay Ganesh idols are made. I missed out on visiting last year, so I made sure I got there this week. After the celebration the Ganesh Idols are submersed in water all around the city - you can seem my blog on that one from this time last year.
The Pottery Town area is usually used for making clay garden pots, chai cups and oil lamps but at this time of year it is a sea of bright colours with Ganesh models being painted. They varied in size from the very small (15cm) to the HUGE (2.5-3m!!) Some of the big ones are overwhelming and you wonder how they would be distributed. We were lucky enough to see one being place on a truck and it took 12 men (Indian men) to move him.
The Pottery Town area is usually used for making clay garden pots, chai cups and oil lamps but at this time of year it is a sea of bright colours with Ganesh models being painted. They varied in size from the very small (15cm) to the HUGE (2.5-3m!!) Some of the big ones are overwhelming and you wonder how they would be distributed. We were lucky enough to see one being place on a truck and it took 12 men (Indian men) to move him.
The idols are made from dry clay soil, water, grass and twigs, and are then covered or patched with paper and water - just like paper mâché as a kid. Often there are repairs needed because they are quite fragile, and that is when the paper mâché is used.
I was amazed at just how many different 'settings' these guys can find for a Ganesh. There were ones sitting on top of dolphins, buses, cows, lions, peacocks, cobras..... They were coloured in every colour of the rainbow and many had some serious bling - lots of jewels (allbeit fake jewels) and glitter and some even had hair !!
As we wound our way through the village we were met by some lovely villagers who were more than happy to have a photo or two and show us their home or work area. I am always amazed at how we are welcomed,and I love being able to show them the photos on my camera. One of the girls who came with us, went last year and she printed some of her 'people' shots out hoping that some of the families would still be living there. They were and they, once again, invited her into their home and offered tea and bread whilst enjoying the photos as well. She even went in the back and said a prayer for the family.
As we wound our way through the village we were met by some lovely villagers who were more than happy to have a photo or two and show us their home or work area. I am always amazed at how we are welcomed,and I love being able to show them the photos on my camera. One of the girls who came with us, went last year and she printed some of her 'people' shots out hoping that some of the families would still be living there. They were and they, once again, invited her into their home and offered tea and bread whilst enjoying the photos as well. She even went in the back and said a prayer for the family.
It was an incredibly hot day, and very humid from the monsoon rain, so us expats were struggling ...... However, we came across Indians in sweaters and earmuffs - too funny !!! I am not sure I will ever get used to the heat - I have a constant 'glow'......
Anyway, I have my Ganesh from last year, so there was no need for any purchases - just lots of photos. Here are a few of my favourites:
![]() |
| He was SO big and handsome |
| Pedicure ... done !! |
| He was not easy to move.... |
![]() |
| Hundreds and Hundreds of Ganesh's |
| Strike a pose !! These boys were begging for me to take their photo and they wanted to know when I could bring the photo to them. |
![]() |
| That is one big RAT !! The rat is Ganesh' mode of transport..... |
![]() |
| Protection from the monsson rain - many of the idols are left on the streetside until purchased, so they need to be protected. |
![]() |
| yep, a tractor..... it was currently under 'repair' |
![]() |
| I see many a tuk tuk like this one..... |
![]() |
| a man on a mission ( and I question the need for a beanie in 40 degree heat !) |
![]() |
| tricky !! |
![]() |
| These ones freaked me out....... |
| He was beautiful yet scary looking - don't you think ? |
| What a lovely lady |
| Across the road from all this fun and colour is the 'park area' and yes that man is urinating...... |
![]() |
| Seriously hot day and he was happy in his sweater and muffs |
| He was so focused on the job at hand. |
![]() |
| He has a LOT of work to do |
| more and more Ganesh... |
| Time for a nap |
| small pots by the hunderd ! |
| The kilns |
![]() |
| such a sweet face |
| freshly made idols |
![]() |
| a bit of patch work being done |
![]() |
| what a beautiful hand (he was over 2 meteres tall) |
| This little boy DID NOT want his photo taken (that's a first) and he was very serious about his job. |
![]() |
| Public telephone - at least this one is on the wall of a building - usually they are on a tree !! |
![]() |
| I think I may become vegetarian !!! |
| A protest held by young boys to stop violence against women and to stop child abuse - so nice to see.... |
| Handsome boys..... we gave them some candy and they couldn't thank us enough !! |
















No comments:
Post a Comment