Indian TV is something you have to see to believe, and most ads tend to have some Bollywood craziness to them. So the other night I was reading and heard a crazy sounding advertisement on the TV and turned to look and it was for the upcoming televising of the 'Pro Kabaddi League' !! This newly formed 'professional' kabaddi has the likelihood of being HUGE here. It was very hyped up and the images of men grabbing each other, yelling, the light shows, the crowd right into it - it made me curious..... what is this kabaddi ?
Well, it is a form of wrestling - Indian wrestling ! The word 'kabaddi' literally means 'lets hold hands' which is a very crucial part of the actual game which I will come too. It is the national sport of Bangladesh but is called 'hadudu' over there.
Ok, to the particulars of the game and rules:
Well, it is a form of wrestling - Indian wrestling ! The word 'kabaddi' literally means 'lets hold hands' which is a very crucial part of the actual game which I will come too. It is the national sport of Bangladesh but is called 'hadudu' over there.
Ok, to the particulars of the game and rules:
- Two teams of seven players are required with 5 reserves.
- Each team occupies a half of a field measuring 10m * 13m (32 feet * 42 feet)
- There are two 20 minute halves with a five minute halftime break
- Ok, how to play : The first team sends a 'raider' into the oppositions territory to 'tag' an opponent. However, he must take a deep breath and chant 'kabaddi, kabaddi, kabaddi' the entire time until he returns to is own half to ensure he gains a point after tagging an opponent. The opposition are to try and 'stop' the opposition tagging them and also try and stop him returning to his half. Therefore, they hold hands and try and wrestle him to the ground.
- There are a number of rules in regards to lines and boundaries that make the process even harder to achieve.
It is hugely popular here in India and the 'star studded' sidelines full of Bollywood actors and actresses make for some very entertaining viewing. I can see the reason the Indians like it and I think the 'glamorising' of the games will make for a very popular viewing. I don't think it will be my new 'game' but I think it has potential, as it's exciting and who doesn't love a grown up game of 'tag'?
Here are a couple of small examples of the game for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment