Not long before we went on holidays to Australia, I got a a new maid. Sweet Selvi is a lovely little lady (she is only just taller than Jack) who loves to cook and do some cleaning as well. So I have forgone a good cleaner (as she isn't great at that part of the job) for a wonderful cook. She can read and follow a recipe really loves to try new things - EXCELLENT !! So we have been trying out lots of new things and most are great. The added benefit is she is only at the house 4 hours a day, which I really like.
She has 3 children - 2 boys that are in there teens, and a nine year old daughter. Selvi is the main bread winner and works 2 jobs to put her eldest boy through university, and her younger two through school. Her children are her life ! Her husband seems ok - bit happy for Selvi to do the work.....
So, before I left I asked her if there was anything she wanted from Australia - she had quite an odd look on her face but I continued asking and then said, I can only say 'no' Selvi. So, she plucked up the courage to tell me that she has had the same bra for 7 years - 7 YEARS !!!!! I was more than shocked, but also more than happy to buy some in Australia for her. She was super excited yesterday when she go them, along with a small koala bear for her daughter. Her face was priceless and she loved the koala so much that I gave her one for herself as well. It is so nice to make people happy !
Also while we were away, Mike received his monthly supply of Sodexo coupons. These are food vouchers that are supplied to all of the staff at Mikes for use at cafes, shops, bakeries etc. We don't need them, so every second pay day we give one booklet to our driver, and one to our maid. Selvi had no idea what they were and sent Mike a message asking what he wanted her to do with them. She was so happy to have something extra with her pay, and something that was so useful !! When I spoke to her about it yesterday she was a little unsure of where she could use them, so I printed off a list of places she can go to use them - she was so excited to see a supermarket, bakery and indian sweet shop on the list. This will help her feed her family a little easier this month. She then proceeded to tell me that she took her children to KFC to use the coupons, as they had never been there before !! The kids were thrilled to have something as western as KFC - even if it was India KFC!!
It's so nice to make people happy, and with such small gestures.
She has 3 children - 2 boys that are in there teens, and a nine year old daughter. Selvi is the main bread winner and works 2 jobs to put her eldest boy through university, and her younger two through school. Her children are her life ! Her husband seems ok - bit happy for Selvi to do the work.....
So, before I left I asked her if there was anything she wanted from Australia - she had quite an odd look on her face but I continued asking and then said, I can only say 'no' Selvi. So, she plucked up the courage to tell me that she has had the same bra for 7 years - 7 YEARS !!!!! I was more than shocked, but also more than happy to buy some in Australia for her. She was super excited yesterday when she go them, along with a small koala bear for her daughter. Her face was priceless and she loved the koala so much that I gave her one for herself as well. It is so nice to make people happy !
Anyway, while we were away, I told Mike that he could leave a note for Selvi in the morning and she would cook for him. However, the World Cup was on and Mike was out partying with the ex-pat crew - particularly the Dutch ! One day, he got a text message from Selvi at work - Sir why you not asking for cooking? Mike was amazed and a little put out that the maid was checking up on him. Hee Hee, I now have someone on my side !!
Also while we were away, Mike received his monthly supply of Sodexo coupons. These are food vouchers that are supplied to all of the staff at Mikes for use at cafes, shops, bakeries etc. We don't need them, so every second pay day we give one booklet to our driver, and one to our maid. Selvi had no idea what they were and sent Mike a message asking what he wanted her to do with them. She was so happy to have something extra with her pay, and something that was so useful !! When I spoke to her about it yesterday she was a little unsure of where she could use them, so I printed off a list of places she can go to use them - she was so excited to see a supermarket, bakery and indian sweet shop on the list. This will help her feed her family a little easier this month. She then proceeded to tell me that she took her children to KFC to use the coupons, as they had never been there before !! The kids were thrilled to have something as western as KFC - even if it was India KFC!!
It's so nice to make people happy, and with such small gestures.
No comments:
Post a Comment