My new found hobby is
photography. Mike and the boys (and Santa, and everyone I know pretty
much) gave me a new camera for Christmas. It is quite a popular pastime
for the expats here because India lends itself to such beautiful photos.
The colours in the saris, the dirt and dust, the dark skin, the beautiful
temples, the colourful poojas - it all helps in creating some beautiful
photographs. I don't pretest to be very good and I am not looking to win
any competitions (or enter for that matter) but I enjoy the challenge and I
love seeing some fun outcomes.
So, last week I did a short course on learning the 'nuts and bolts' of photography and how to use this very
cool new toy I have. Luckily for me, there was a trip today to a temple
in the Nandi Hills. This was great to build on the foundations of what I
learnt last week and also to try out some fun new techniques, while exploring
a new place.
So, Bhoganandishwara Temple
is about 1.5 hours from where we are in Bangalore and is one of the most ornate
Dravidian temples in Karnataka. Dravidian is a style of temple that is
like a pyramid style with steps and has many carved pillars - usually with
gods, goddesses, warriors etc. There is actually two temples with many
statues and pillars to create an intricate network of 'rooms' and shrines.
In the second temple there is a body of water (like a well) called Pinakini
Kolla and was recently used for a celebration where lots of candles were
'floated' in the water. Unfortunately, when the wax and debris fell into
the water, all the fish that lived there died. Such a very 'Indian'
outcome to a celebration........
So we wandered around trying to get our 'eye in' and getting better perspective with our photos, along with trying some new fun techniques out. I am far from good, but it's so much fun and such a great bunch of ladies to have a day out with.
As it so happened, it was the day that the temple staff had to count the financial offerings. It is quite rare to see this happen, so we felt very lucky and they were quite happy for us to take photos - right there in the courtyard !!
Afterwards, we had the opportunity to go to the home of a silk making family. It was a great process to see, with the raw silk being spun in to silk thread. However, the best part for me was spending quite a bit of time outside taking photos of the local children. They are just adorable and they are so happy with the very simple life they live.
I apologise for the number of photos - my next skill is to learn to cull better !!
 |
One of the other ladies took this, she wasn't happy because it is overexposed but I love it. |
 |
| This is the entrance to the temple |
 |
| Susie being 'arty' |
 |
| One of the many carvings in the pillars |
 |
| The first image inside the temple, it was so beautiful. |
 |
| Praying to the Nandi Bull |
 |
| Waiting for mummy to finish praying |
 |
| More of the statues along the internal walls |
 |
| One of the priests at the Ganesh Shrine |
 |
| A beautiful Goddess |
 |
| The entrance to the second Temple - I love the doors. |
 |
| Pillars as far as the eye can see |
 |
The Nandi Hills in the background, the steps in the temple in the foreground |
 |
| The 'lovely' water in the well. |
 |
A lovely group of worshipers happy to have their photo taken such gorgeous colours !! |
 |
| Another angle of the well |
 |
| Gorgeous Architecture |
 |
| Frame within a frame |
 |
| The wonderful Ganesh |
 |
| Counting the money |
 |
| Ganesha !!! |
 |
| Enjoying the sun |
 |
| Praying to Ganesh |
 |
| One of the locals |
 |
| A local market outside the temple |
 |
| Time for some grooming |
 |
| Silk spinning |
 |
| Many many spools |
 |
| yep, thats a pile of silk |
 |
| This lady seemed so sad. |
 |
I loved these doors - can only imagine where they lead. |
 |
| These girls were shy but so beautiful |
 |
| Cheekiness !! |
 |
| Cheekiness times 4 !! |
 |
She was scared of looking at her picture in the camera - but after the bunch of white ladies stayed for a long time she came around. |
 |
| On a mission |
No comments:
Post a Comment