Friday, 10 January 2014

Hinglish - I kid you not !!

Being able to speak English in India is a huge benefit for young Indian people - especially for job opportunities. However, so many of the people that we deal with daily really cannot speak English in much form at all.  I take my hat off to so many of them who have probably not even finished school but can make themselves understood quite well in English. Lydia, our maid, has no formal education but manages to convey her message quite well in English.

Unfortunately, some Indians use English as a way to get things.  For example, over Christmas I had at least 15 people come up to me and say 'Christmas' with their hands open looking for a Christmas bonus.  Most of these were gardeners or cleaners for the Palm Meadows Association who cannot speak any English but realise that if they say the word 'Christmas' and ask for a bonus they may get lucky.  This was quite annoying as I felt like they were being very presumptuous, as most of them I have never seen before and to top it all off, they did the exact same thing in October when it was Diwali.  So knowing some English is not always a positive thing.

Anyway, I have diverged from my initial thoughts on Hinglish.  Some of the very common phrases that are said during our day to day life are below and they make me laugh every time I hear them.

1.  Do the needful: one of the most commonly said phrases.  'Do what's necessary'.
2.  Salary refitment : a salary increase - Mike had this asked of him yesterday.
3.  Updation: the updating of documents etc. I love this one !!
4.  Prepone: the opposite of postpone ......this one cracks me up.
5.  Upgradation: self explanatory, isn't it ??
6.  Good name: I am asked this constantly and apparently it is just a polite way to ask your name. I was never sure if it was first or last but it is actually just a polite way of asking your name, so first or both first and last.
7.  Stupendous communication skills!! : Mike had this listed as a skill on a resume he received.
8.  Same, same different ....you know different, different, same ( done with a head wobble): I just laugh out loud when this one is said.
9.  Revert: this is used constantly when someone is going to 'respond' to you.
10.  Felicitate: yep, you read correctly. To congratulate or make happy.
11.  Expired, or they are 'no more': someone has passed away.
12.  Rupees 5000: this is often how things are advertised and said, not, 5000 rupees.
13.  It is on your backside: it is behind you........

It makes for fun times out and about in downtown Bangalore.



No comments:

Post a Comment