At home in Petersham, I would very rarely have the doorbell ring during my days at home. It was very rare for someone to pop in for a coffee, or even drop something off - especially unannounced. The postie would just leave parcels under cover on the porch, the gas and water metre readings were done without me, it was just very quiet. Oh, how I loved that quiet. With my two ruckus boys I take 'quiet' whenever I can.
Now in India, I am struggling to find any 'quiet'. There is a short window from 9.30am to 10am where it is just me - no one else..... and that's it !! The boys are at school, Mike and the driver have left for work and Lydia is not here until 10am. It's pure bliss.
During the rest of the day I have Lydia pottering around and asking me things, and the gardener comes and goes. Then there are the 'drop-ins'. Who are these people I hear you ask? Well, they can be a variety of people - here are just a few:
1. Maintenance men - yes, we are still having hot water geyser issues and air conditioner issues.
2. Bill collectors - in India it is very common for someone to drop a bill off one day and then say, I'll be back tomorrow for the cash. These are the cable TV guys, phone, water, electricity...... I am constantly putting together little piles of cash for these people to collect.
3. Water filter servicing - I'm sure you're aware that clean water in India is a luxury, so we have a water filter in the kitchen which is fabulous. I would much prefer that, then assume that the big bottles of water from the 'water company' are actually filtered. Call me cynical. So this is serviced regularly as it is our 'clean water'.
4. Couriers - couriers seem to be standard here, especially for bank deliveries, and they need to see photo id, which for me is my passport. So I have to get it out from the locked cabinet upstairs each time they come. Tedious !
These are just a few, and then in the afternoon it is kids coming to see if Jack and Max are home. I have tried to tell them, that they don't need to come and ask if they are home - they will hear them from the other end of the street !!
So, my solitude now is my morning exercise, no one to talk to me, ask me anything or to need my help. One hour of pure 'alone time'. Please don't get me wrong, it is lovely to have so much activity going on but sometimes you just need 'quiet'. Of course, the exercise is also good for other things given all the time we have spent in hotels and restaurants over the last 2 months......
Now in India, I am struggling to find any 'quiet'. There is a short window from 9.30am to 10am where it is just me - no one else..... and that's it !! The boys are at school, Mike and the driver have left for work and Lydia is not here until 10am. It's pure bliss.
During the rest of the day I have Lydia pottering around and asking me things, and the gardener comes and goes. Then there are the 'drop-ins'. Who are these people I hear you ask? Well, they can be a variety of people - here are just a few:
1. Maintenance men - yes, we are still having hot water geyser issues and air conditioner issues.
2. Bill collectors - in India it is very common for someone to drop a bill off one day and then say, I'll be back tomorrow for the cash. These are the cable TV guys, phone, water, electricity...... I am constantly putting together little piles of cash for these people to collect.
3. Water filter servicing - I'm sure you're aware that clean water in India is a luxury, so we have a water filter in the kitchen which is fabulous. I would much prefer that, then assume that the big bottles of water from the 'water company' are actually filtered. Call me cynical. So this is serviced regularly as it is our 'clean water'.
4. Couriers - couriers seem to be standard here, especially for bank deliveries, and they need to see photo id, which for me is my passport. So I have to get it out from the locked cabinet upstairs each time they come. Tedious !
These are just a few, and then in the afternoon it is kids coming to see if Jack and Max are home. I have tried to tell them, that they don't need to come and ask if they are home - they will hear them from the other end of the street !!
So, my solitude now is my morning exercise, no one to talk to me, ask me anything or to need my help. One hour of pure 'alone time'. Please don't get me wrong, it is lovely to have so much activity going on but sometimes you just need 'quiet'. Of course, the exercise is also good for other things given all the time we have spent in hotels and restaurants over the last 2 months......
No comments:
Post a Comment