I'm sure you're all aware of the issues here in India with the number of rapes that are being reported. Unfortunately, it seems that more often than not the incidents are not reported to the police. The incidents that are mentioned in the press seem to only be the cases affecting westerners or wealthier Indian women. A lot of young Indian women are having these crimes go unreported, and it seems the story then gets worse.
I was horrified to read in the paper this week that there have been cases (and many of them) where the rapist and victim have married. The main reasons for doing so is because the victim is unlikely to now have marriage opportunities after she has been raped - so she sees it as the best 'solution' to the problem. For the rapist, it was an opportunity to be given a more lenient sentence in court if he marries the victim. This is unbelievable !! The courts are now saying it will not be used as a way to reduce a sentence but I am amazed that it could even be considered as a defence tool.......
I cannot believe that these young women would ever want to see their rapists again, let alone spend the rest of their lives living with them and having them 'own' them. These sort of events are way too common in our supposedly modern and forward thinking world. I think we are becoming more understanding and tolerant of other cultures -but these sort of stories just fill me with sadness. What do you think?
Here is the link to the story.
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/353628/compromise-victim-rapist-can039t-reduce.html
I was horrified to read in the paper this week that there have been cases (and many of them) where the rapist and victim have married. The main reasons for doing so is because the victim is unlikely to now have marriage opportunities after she has been raped - so she sees it as the best 'solution' to the problem. For the rapist, it was an opportunity to be given a more lenient sentence in court if he marries the victim. This is unbelievable !! The courts are now saying it will not be used as a way to reduce a sentence but I am amazed that it could even be considered as a defence tool.......
I cannot believe that these young women would ever want to see their rapists again, let alone spend the rest of their lives living with them and having them 'own' them. These sort of events are way too common in our supposedly modern and forward thinking world. I think we are becoming more understanding and tolerant of other cultures -but these sort of stories just fill me with sadness. What do you think?
Here is the link to the story.
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/353628/compromise-victim-rapist-can039t-reduce.html
No comments:
Post a Comment