Tuesday, 6 August 2013

What is a Luxury ?

What do you consider as luxuries in your life? Me? Well it used to be, having a nice house, nice wine, a weekend away, working part time, being able to buy clothes when I needed/wanted them, having a massage, pedicure, manicure when I wanted. So many things but they were all very material.

But now, things have changed. Luxuries in India include power, hot water, internet, refrigeration, televisions that work, hot water, fresh fish that won't kill me, milk that is not long-life, HOT WATER !!  Obviously shelter, clean water, food, and education are items in demand here too but I can happily say that most of the people I have met, have these.

We have had a couple of issues with our hot water system since we arrived, in fact with 3 of the systems, and it really isn't considered that big of a deal here.  I disagree - hot water is mandatory !  On the positive side, having these things happen now is going to ensure I expect it again and again, and will not be surprised, again and again......

We have got very used to living with first world things. I cannot believe that most people in India do not have refrigeration, which means having to purchase food every day, for that day. We are lucky to have a big fridge/freezer for me to stock.  I can only imagine if I had no storage of perishables as I HATE supermarket shopping.  Oh, and most of the shops don't have refrigeration either, so you can only imagine how the goods have been transported - open trucks !!

Lydia, our maid, has one power point in her home which only works for a couple of hours a day. If she needs to iron her boys school uniforms, she must do so in the dark, because she has to turn the lamp off to have the iron on. It puts all my issues into perspective.

And wine, oh dear, wine !!  I have had a single bottle of Red wine since I have been here.  It is expensive and it's not stored well, so its pot luck as to whether it is going to be ok, even if you pay a bit more for a good bottle.  I miss my wine but its definitely a luxury now!

Enjoy your luxuries. x

No comments:

Post a Comment