Monday, 19 August 2013

Help madam

Lydia, our housekeeper, is working out really well. She is married with two boys (Moses and John) who are the same ages as Jack and Max - they often come to play with our boys. From day one she has told me 'things' I really don't want to know. I was warned that most of the time the 'stories' that you're told by your staff are not true, so you always need to keep this in mind.

I was warned of being told horrible stories to get more money, time off, extra privileges etc. So when we negotiated Lydia's work terms, she wanted more money for less hours than she was doing before - not going to happen!! but good on her for trying. 

Then in week one I was told about how her husband is a 'drinking man' and all her money goes there. Susie's response "oh ok". (heartless bitch aren't I?)

Week 2 was the major issues she was having with her phone. People kept ringing and then not talking. Her husband then checks her phone and asks who is calling her. Then she had phone calls from wives saying, "stop calling my husband!!" Now, call me silly, but she doesn't have time for that sort of thing. She cannot read or write, so working out how to use her phone is a big struggle. She is constantly asking me how to delete numbers or find numbers - phone technology is beyond her!! So I doubt she's ringing other women's husbands....

Then, in week 3 came the request for extra money because her mum was in an accident. Sorry Lydia not extra money, just an advance. Once again, aren't I heartless?!

Now that I am working, it's so nice to have a home office to close the door and reduce these 'chats' too a minimum each day. I'm sure visitors from Oz will love these daily sagas, but when you're living it, it's just another thing to deal with in Hinglish.

No comments:

Post a Comment