Living in India is a fabulous journey every day and there are so many great new things to experience. However, on the other hand there are many things that are sorely missed. Of course, there are family and friends who are missed so very, very much. There are many material things, like our house, Sydney, nice wine, fresh seafood...... I could go on and on, but that would probably end up being pages long and very boring. So I'll stick to just a few of the interesting ones that I didn't think of when leaving Australia, or didn't realise would be SO huge to me.
1. My independence: I know I can walk places and can have Anthony drive me (and yes, I could possibly drive myself) but the idea of just popping to the butcher, grabbing some fresh bread, or dropping in to Bunnings, is just not possible. We only have one car and Mike's commute to work is about 45minutes. So for at least, 90minutes every morning and afternoon, I really cannot 'just pop out!'. Hopefully making some new friends will help with this one. I feel 'tied' to someone all the time.
2. Along the same lines as number 1, I miss driving. I miss pumping up the stereo and finding the quickest way to somewhere. I love driving and I am REALLY missing it. Maybe driving up to the clubhouse on the weekend will have to suffice.
3. Licorice - cannot find it and now that I know I cant have it, I want it !!
4. Salmon...... Looking forward to our weekend trip to Goa to hopefully get some good fish.
5. Consistent electricity: this one I knew would happen but underestimated how much it would sh#t me !!! It's just so annoying to be doing anything: washing, cooking, watching TV, working on the computer, having a shower.......and the power drops out, then back on, then out again - you get the point. It's daily, and often many times a day.
6. Coffee shops with decent coffee. Of course there are coffee shops, but not many and not with great coffee. I also didn't realise that I would miss the social side of just sitting in a coffee shop. I'm sure I'll find one soon that ticks all the boxes.
7. Burgen bread !!
8. Footpaths - of course there are footpaths here in Bangalore but its the state and type of these footpaths that does my head in. They are all 'part finished/part broken', so you are constantly having to jump over broken drains, dog poop, garbage, stray dogs, men's urine.... I just can't handle it and it's the reason I don't walk too many places. Taking Max for a walk is always an adventure!!
9. Fresh fruit and vegetables that don't need to be washed in soap before consuming. The variety is ok but having to 'soap wash' it all first is just annoying.
10. Local parks: there are no such things as a grassy park areas for the boys to run and play footie. I miss it but the boys miss it more - thank goodness for school now.
There are many more - trust me.
No comments:
Post a Comment