Thursday, 1 August 2013

How much ???

One thing I'm finding very difficult to get used to here in India is the constant question posed to me, as to how much I paid for something! It is normally from the maid or the driver, after I have been shopping, or a delivery arrives at the house. They always ask me 'how much Madam'?  They are desperate to know who much and then to let me know that it's TOO expensive.

In Australia if someone wants to let you know the 'bargain' they got while shopping, they will tell you by their own admission. But you don't normally ask the question? 

Also, most people in India know how much money the other person earns !!! I cannot imagine people asking that in Australia. It's considered rude to ask and I definitely wouldn't respond if asked.  Here, it is very common for everyone to know how much each staff member earns - even in Mike's office.

When being asked about the cost, I'm not only talking about getting ripped off on something that I should have bargained for - that I can understand.  So if I was getting a ride in an Auto-Rik, I will ALWAYS get ripped off but I sort of expect that, and am happy to through the guy a few more rupees - it's usually only cents to me anyway.  But this is more in the line of asking how much furniture cost, or some food at the grocery store.  They probably wouldn't EVER buy the things I buy, so what does it matter how much it cost and how much I 'wasted'.

Anthony has been very funny on a couple of occasions where I needed him to help me with purchasing something and he has 'haggled' for me.  One time was a garbage bin for the house - they are a specific blue bin that is used for every house in Palm Meadows.  So he came with me to buy it at the local 'hardware shop' (more like a shack and not really selling hardware).  He negotiated with the lady and he saved me 500 rupee (less than $10) he was so very proud of himself.  He was bursting with pride - I tried to give him the 500 rupee but he wouldn't take it.

I am struggling with the cost of things as it is in India but the pressue to get a 'bargain' every time I shop is just too much.  I know lots of people hunt around and then send someone back to buy for them, but for me the actual hunting around in India is exhausting - it takes so long to get anywhere that if I then have to negotiate, walk away and then go back at a lower price - its just TOO difficult.  The extra few rupees I pay makes me feel good, and it might help a family eat better for a week.

I suppose I will get used to it but for now I am sick of being asked 'how much Madam' ??

No comments:

Post a Comment