Tuesday, 3 September 2013

Edinburgh International Science Festival

Today was Jack's (and my) first experience of an Indian school excursion - it was to the Edinburgh International Science Festival. This is the first time it has been to India and has been heavily advertised and has had a good wrap overall.  The school was super keen to go and they asked for parental help with attending the event.  I don't work Tuesdays, so thought it would be a good opportunity to meet a few more children and also to see the festival - the geek in me.  

So the boys took the bus to school as normal and I arranged to travel with another mum from Palm Meadows (Alison) to avoid taking two cars all the way, and to have some company. So we left at 7.15am..... coffee in hand.  We arrived at school at 8.45am to meet the kids and get our groups sorted.  I had 5 children in my group, including Jack.  I had a little Chinese girl, Li Na, who was adopted by a German family, so she can only speak German (but looks Chinese) it was all too confusing for me so early in the morning.  Anyway, they included another little girl, Anne, in my group who is German, but can speak and understand English to help Li Na, and me, out.  Problem solved.  I then had Ashwan (an Indian boy),  Daan who is from Denmark who has a twin brother and lives at Palm Meadows, and I had Jack.

We left school at 9am and arrived, as requested by 9.45, to then sit on the bus for a further hour with all the kids.  Apparently, an Indian school with 800 students turned up to the event 2 hours LATE !! and then expected to go in on our slot - and they were allowed !!  So we had to wait until after 11am before we could do anything.  Such a typical Indian event - and I don't mean that in a bad way, its just the way the cookie crumbles here, it all gets done, eventually.

We had great hopes

The kids were starving and the sun was getting hot but we managed to keep them all in order - with only a few tears and tantrums.  (Jack doesn't handle having long sessions without food!!)
and in we go......


more waiting


and more waiting


We eventually got to go into the 'Wacky Bubbles' exhibition where there was lots of fun experiments with bubbles.  The kids were finally smiling and had a great time.  We then decided that if we didn't feed the troops, there could be a revolt - so pizza was bought for everyone.  This was unplanned, as we were meant to be back at school by midday for lunch in the cafeteria........  A few more tears over not enough pizza, not nice pizza, dairy intolerance, thirsty, ice cream cravings - and of course, the horrendous toilet breaks !! 


Inside a bubble



Next stop was the 'Crazy Scientist Show' where 2 Swedish (yes this is a Scottish exhibition in India) 'scientists' held the audience captive as they showed some fun things with air, water and sound.  The kids enjoyed it - I found it quite amateurish.

In true Indian style, halfway through the show, we were 'marched' off to the Maths section where the kids were asked to try and solve some problems.  Unfortunately there was a bit of a mix up and the age group for the puzzles was probably a couple of years above our kids.  Even so, they had a good try and seemed to enjoy the challenge.

Last stop was the Pongy Potions exhibit where a couple of Brit boys kept the kids very entertained with smelly things and fun experiments.  One child even asked one of the boys if they were in One Direction - I didn't see the relevance or similarity but it got a good laugh from the mums and teachers.

We then headed back to the buses for the trip back to school, but luckily Alison and I made a slight diversion and headed directly home.  By the time we got home, I had an hour to get 'stuff' done before the boys arrived on their bus.

It was an interesting experience and one I am happy I went too.  I may not be so quick to volunteer next year - but if I do I would definitely pack a picnic !!

No surprises as to how I ended the afternoon................ 


are my G & T




No comments:

Post a Comment