Wednesday, 11 September 2013

My Friend the Ganesha

As I've gone on and on about Ganesha over the last couple of weeks,  I'm sure you now know that this week is completely full of celebrations for the big elephant God.  Well, today was the day that the huge Ganesh statue here in Palm Meadows was to be paraded through the streets and them immersed in water. This is all for good luck and it is a HUGELY popular celebration.  During the week it has been shrouded with gifts (puja) - coconuts, flowers, bananas, sweets etc

At about 2pm I was working away in the office and started to hear drums banging and lots of singing and chanting. Lydia informed me that the parade would go on for a couple of hours moving through all the streets of Palm Meadows - so I sat and waited for it to appear outside the garden.


You cannot believe the scenes so I have had to provide video and photo evidence.  The men are all workers here at Palm Meadows - gardeners, maintenance, drivers etc.  I can only hope that some of those dancing styles are the result of a a few too many beers at lunch in celebration of the great Ganesha.  The video is a much see, hopefully you can view it.

The love for this God, is amazing, there was even a Ganesha made out of rice at the supermarket.
A Rice Ganesha at the supermarket

The beautiful Ganesha being paraded

Hold on tight

Dancing and singing


My Ganesha will not be immersed but coming back to Australia with us



















No comments:

Post a Comment