Monday, 23 September 2013

India Night for OWC

Saturday night was the major fund-raising night for the OWC (Overseas Women's Club) here in Bangalore.  The group has a specific group of charities for whom they spend a lot of time raising well needed funds for.  It is where I am starting to meet a lot of expat ladies who are all very social.  The group gets together weekly for coffee but there are 'sub groups' that also get together.  These might be for 'Learning English, Book club, etc. Unfortunately 'coffee' day is Thursday which I work.

I think (don't quote me) that they raised over $100,000 last year which is distributed amongst 25 different local charities.   The main focuses are the poor, disabled and disadvantaged children.  They are also a 'welcoming' group for expats arriving in Bangalore who have a thousand questions and are in need of 'like expats'.

It is a great group and Saturday was the gala night where 600-700 white people dress up in Indian clothes for a 5 star party - craziness!!  It is great that everyone gets in to the spirit of the night and the colour is spectacular.  There are Silent Auctions and raffles for even more fun throughout the night.

I haven't been well, so we weren't sure how long we would last - as it ended it was just after dinner.  But we had a great night and look forward to next year when I will definitely be carving up the dance floor. Unfortunately, I didn't take photos of all the other 'colour' but there were some pics in the paper today which I have 'borrowed' for you to see the glitz and glamour.

Sorry, Jack was head photographer - a little blurry !!


















 

No comments:

Post a Comment