On Thursday morning I suddenly started to feel very sick with sharp cramping pains in my stomach and a massive headache. This continued for most of Thursday, and then the inevitable diarrhoea. I was feel so bad that I even asked Mike to come home early to look after the boys. I was sick all Thursday night and didn't even get up on Friday morning to send the boys to school. I spent all day Friday in bed (what the ??) only getting up at 4.30pm to greet the boys home from school. I tried to have a piece of toast on Friday night and that only ended in me back in bed !
By Saturday morning, after not really eating for a couple of days, Mike thought it best I see a doctor. So, we headed to the local hospital to see what was going on. You can make appointments but it's not necessary, so we went without - we were planning for a long visit given past experiences at medical centres in Australia. It was reasonable quick actually - so happily surprised with that aspect of the trip. To register and for the consultation, all they wanted was a name, phone number and 300 rupees ($5) - quick and efficient. So, in I went to see Dr Siddharth - a young man who, on first discussions, thought I had appendicitis........ argh that would be a 'no'. This had me concerned as to his qualifications. The pain was consistent across all of my stomach and I really didn't have the severe pains associated with appendicitis. So, then he decided I probably just have a stomach bug, best to get some tests. Lucky me.
Off I went to Pathology - $7.50 for blood tests, urine and stool tests. Now, the blood test I could handle and it seemed quite sanitary in the pathology room, but then I had to go to the bathroom. Oh my God, if I didn't have contagious, infections bugs prior to entering the restroom - I will now !! It was not good. Luckily I was made to see the funny side of things with my mum trying to Facetime me while I was in the restroom. (I didn't answer....)
After I provided my 'samples' to pathology I had to go to the pharmacy and get my prescribed medicines. These were scribbled on my "Hospital Patient Card' which I get to keep and have to bring with me whenever I go to the hospital. The scribble was 'doctor scribble' which was completely illegible to me - but that doesn't matter, right, as the pharmacist understands and then gives these details to you?? Nope, the pharmacist cuts the required tablets for you into a small brown paper bag and hands them over. $1.70 later and I am on my way with the below. I have no instructions (apart from the scribble) but luckily I think I remember what the doctor said and they are only for the 'stomach bug' nothing serious !!
I am still not really eating and the cramps are still there so will be back there tomorrow to see what the test results were. The fun and games of living in India.
No comments:
Post a Comment