This week I posted about the massive garbage issue here in Bangalore - well all of India really, but specifically in our new home town. In addition to this national issue, I am having my own running battle with the garbage collectors here in Palm Meadows. I am all for rules and would happily comply with the PMOA (Palm Meadows Owner Association) rules for garbage collection if they were at all reasonable and consistent.
My major issue is that they won't take my garbage daily unless it is in a green garbage bag. Not black, not white, but green !! We have a very nice bin that we have with us form Australia and I even packed a large amount of garbage bags, knowing that it was going to be unlikely for me to find the 'right size' bags in India. But these bags are white - shock horror - and will NOT be collected. It goes as far as the man getting out of his truck (well it's more like a rusted box on wheels) he walks to our garbage bin, removes the lid, looks in, and then closes it because the bags are white and returns to his vehicle empty-handed !! I have tried black too but to no avail.
So the magical green bags they wish for us to use are about 30cm by 30cm - yep not huge ! and they are made of the flimsiest plastic I have ever come across. This results in the bag breaking and putrid rubbish being splayed all over the ground to attract rats, snakes, and cats. One day, I found soe large green bags (not the same shade of green but green nonetheless) and they DID collect those. However, do you think I can find those green bags again ?? That would be no - and is unlikely to ever be found again but that is a whole other blog. I have mentioned that if they want people to follow the rules maybe the rules need to be more 'practical' !!
I am doing more than most here in Palm Meadows with my recycling and trying to reduce the amount of waste coming from our house but if they do not pick up my garbage in a bag of any colour, they are about to get to know Susie very well ......
I mentioned this to a friend yesterday and she said she had exactly the same battle when she arrived last year and she resorted to taking her garbage to the PMOA office and dumping it on their doorstep to make her point. She is now getting her garbage collected as she requested.
Luckily there is Saturday, where they are obliged to pick up everything no matter what colour the bag. That is if they remember to come down our street. The fun continues......
My major issue is that they won't take my garbage daily unless it is in a green garbage bag. Not black, not white, but green !! We have a very nice bin that we have with us form Australia and I even packed a large amount of garbage bags, knowing that it was going to be unlikely for me to find the 'right size' bags in India. But these bags are white - shock horror - and will NOT be collected. It goes as far as the man getting out of his truck (well it's more like a rusted box on wheels) he walks to our garbage bin, removes the lid, looks in, and then closes it because the bags are white and returns to his vehicle empty-handed !! I have tried black too but to no avail.
So the magical green bags they wish for us to use are about 30cm by 30cm - yep not huge ! and they are made of the flimsiest plastic I have ever come across. This results in the bag breaking and putrid rubbish being splayed all over the ground to attract rats, snakes, and cats. One day, I found soe large green bags (not the same shade of green but green nonetheless) and they DID collect those. However, do you think I can find those green bags again ?? That would be no - and is unlikely to ever be found again but that is a whole other blog. I have mentioned that if they want people to follow the rules maybe the rules need to be more 'practical' !!
I am doing more than most here in Palm Meadows with my recycling and trying to reduce the amount of waste coming from our house but if they do not pick up my garbage in a bag of any colour, they are about to get to know Susie very well ......
I mentioned this to a friend yesterday and she said she had exactly the same battle when she arrived last year and she resorted to taking her garbage to the PMOA office and dumping it on their doorstep to make her point. She is now getting her garbage collected as she requested.
Luckily there is Saturday, where they are obliged to pick up everything no matter what colour the bag. That is if they remember to come down our street. The fun continues......
No comments:
Post a Comment