Friday, 27 September 2013

Investing in our kids

Today I spent some time at the boys school - I offered to help out in class and Max's teacher jumped at the chance to have a new Mum in class. I know I have mentioned many times how happy our boys are at Stonehill, and how impressed we have been too.  Well today just confirmed that even more.

I know we are very lucky to have the ability to send our boys to this school, as it is expensive and an International School. However, I believe that it is so worthwhile. It makes me wonder why we make this same 'kind of education' so hard to afford in Australia (and other countries).  As a very famous song says 'our children are our future' and one of the most wonderful things to see, is children 'interested' in learning. Seeing their complete dedication and focus on a task and a new idea forming in their minds is beautiful.  Unfortunately, we don't see that often enough in our schools.

The majority of the issue is resources, or lack there of !!  That certainly isn't the issue here.  In Max's class of 14 students there are 2 full-time teachers as well as an aid to help with group activities.  These teachers also don't teach Art, Music, PE, Host Country, Computers..... so they have the time and assistance to prepare for classes and not get frustrated with 'no time to themselves'.  They seem so happy and content teaching the children and because they are not the only person in the room, they have the backup and support to assist with different situations.

Why can't our kids in Australia have this same attention and focus ?  They deserve to have a great opportunity to learn.  I am not saying our school in Sydney was not wonderful - it was just different and I could see the strain of 'resources' constantly.  If those teachers were given the additional assets, I am sure our kids would be 'flying' so much higher and faster as well.

I was reading an article today about the 3 things you shouldn't skimp on with your kids - they said: good shoes that fit well , education and good food.  I completely agree with these 3 items but particularly with education - we are seeing the benefits of our boys having the focus of their teachers and the resources at their disposal.  It is not necessarily that they have jumped ahead and are top of the class (they are not) but the boys are loving school and are developing a love for learning !!  What more could we ask for?

OK, my rant is over........

No comments:

Post a Comment