Tuesday, 22 October 2013

Chair haggling

I spend an awful lot if time sitting outside while the boys ride their bikes and scooters or play football/cricket in the street. I seem to end up sitting in the gutter a lot and it was driving me crazy.

There are cane chair makes dotted along the roads in Bangalore weaving and making furniture but I knew if asked them I would get the 'white ladies price'. I did try one place and he wanted 2000 rupees per chair - granted they were a bit nicer but I thought $34 was way too much - I was thinking more 2000 for 2 chairs.  So I asked Anthony to get a price when he was riding his motor bike home. That way I should get a good price.

He came back saying 2500 for 2 chairs and a small table!! Happy days but then we had to actually do the deal. Of course, when I went with him I decided I wanted the bigger chairs, but for the same price - Susie was haggling!!

So, after much yelling and hand waving, lots of negotiations, Anthony just grabbed the chairs and table and put them in the car and shoved the money in his hand - no more discussions!! All for the bargain price of $42.

I now have a place to sit, drink tea (read gin), blog for you guys and watch my boys. Just need to get some mozzie coils.......











No comments:

Post a Comment