Monday, 15 July 2013

I am useless.......

It seems that since I've arrived in Bangalore I have lost all my ability to 'anything'! As a white woman here, I am not expected to open a car door, lift anything of any weight (including my sleeping child), walk anywhere on my own, and the list goes on and on.

It is starting to drive me crazy!! Anthony, our driver, gets quite upset if I open the door rather than wait for him to stop the car, undo his seatbelt, get out, run around the other side of the car and open my door. I now just sit and feel stupid waiting for the door to be opened for me, even though I have a perfectly good door handle and functioning hand to open it !! And then god-forbid I try and move the seat forward to let the boys out!!

Then when we get home he will only let me bring my handbag out of the car - all other things are "too heavy". Little does he know the things I would attempt in Sydney!! It would horrify him. The security guards at the clubhouse are the same. I know it's there job and they are offended when I don't let them do their job but its very hard.

Our clothesline is a bit wonky and I think I might want to move it to the other side of the house where there is more sun but seeing me pulling the iron stacks out and relocating would just be too much for them to bare :)

Apparently, me walking to the local store is even too much - especially trying to cross the busy road - Anthony expected to drive me the 100 metres !!! And, of course, how did I manage with the 1 bag of shopping??

This is all before our maid starts!! Lydia is starting for us as soon as our 'stuff' arrives. I got some very weird looks, and 3 more maids asking to work for me today when I attempted to sweep the outside patio of our house with the below broom. I was only doing it to kill time while the boys were riding their bikes but apparently it is just NOT done !!(this is the only broom you can buy) 


I will adjust to most of things here but losing my independence is going to be hard. 
P.s. hopefully my broom made the shipment ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment