Monday, 8 July 2013

Our Bangalore Abode

So today we took possession of our rental house in Bangalore. We have no furniture, so can't move in but I am sure I can pop around to do the odd load of washing and start to meet the neighbours.  I met a lovely Swedish woman, Katerina, today who lives across the road - doesn't have young children but seemed very sweet and willing to help with all my questions, of which there are hundreds.

The process is not as simple as I expected. We are lucky enough to have a relocation contact helping us with all the incidentals, of which there are MANY!!  The process was supposed to take only an hour or so but we managed to be there for 3 hours.  Everyone was late (standard practice, even for non-Indians), then the process of completing the inspection took forever.  I had to check every key, door, drawer opening, toilet, water tap etc etc, and then tick it off on a list or make the correct adjustments.  It's been a long time since I have rented, I now remember how much I hated it.

Some specific Indian nuances in the house:

*  There is no such thing as a hot water system in India - they use geysers (I thought the 'gooey geyser' was only on Dora the Explorer....) and they take about 30 minutes to warm up - so you need to plan your showers !!  They are just a box on the wall that warms the water, nothing as serious as a 'geyser' sounds.

* Each toilet has a personal cleaner next to the toilet bowl - a mini shower on a hose - bidet equivalent.  God knows how much fun Max will have with that :)

* Each bedroom has it's own bathroom - I'm not complaining living with 3 boys !!

* At the back of the house (out of complete sight from everywhere and everyone) is the servants quarters - it is a 2*2 metre room with nothing in it (absolutely nothing, hope she brings a chair..) and a second door to a room (1*1mtr) which is the toilet but it's an in the floor - squat style !

* The concept of 'flyscreens' is quite foreign and the way they attach them is novel. They are velcro screens taped to the window frame - should be interesting and I'll be keen to see how they work.

The process this morning took much longer than expected due to being interrupted by ladies dropping by to ask if I need a housekeeper - at least 5 dropped by with their resumes ??  Apparently the news has spread 'new white lady in town'!! Am meeting with one tomorrow - oh how I am looking forward to that - NOT.

The house is great, 3 bedrooms plus a study area for a desk etc.  There are 2 great living areas and a decent kitchen.  The garden is perfect, big enough for a footie to be kicked and the street is quiet for a game of footie, cricket or basketball.  Need to purchase a basketball hoop and possibly a trampoline for the boys.  It's not our place in Petersham but it is better than I could have expected.  Mike did very well choosing on his own.  My next adventure will be getting curtains made..... should be interesting.

The shipment of furniture etc, should arrive soon (crossed fingers, toes, legs etc) and then we are open for visitors - so start making your plans........ come and enjoy a curry or two !!! Here are some photos.

Side-view

Front of house


Entry and living room


This is the guests bathroom - hope you all love PINK!



Kitchen


Garden


Staircase


And I still have a pantry !!!! Mike knows me well.




No comments:

Post a Comment