'Wonderful' I hear you say. What a fabulous place to be, where everything is always positive and nothing is too much trouble. Well, not quite. The "yes ma'am" that is constant music to my ears doesn't always result in "yes" for Susie.
You see, in India, "yes" can actually mean:
* yes
* maybe
* sometimes
* possible tomorrow
* yes, if you pay me
* not right now but later
* not always
* nope, not at all
And all things in between !!!
I had been warned of this but I am now experiencing this all the time. They ate only small things, but poor mike is having the same issues at work. Some examples are:
Breakfast at the hotel - I asked for wholegrain toast with my eggs. "Yes ma'am", was the response. But white toast came (much to the pleasure of the rest of my family). So I ask again - yes ma'am, but still more white toast came. They actually don't have while grain toast !!
Going to the park yesterday I was dropped at the gate to the park (along with hawkers selling corn and fruit, rubbish everywhere, old men smoking..). So the boys and I take our very white western bodies through the gate with a smile and 'good morning' - they nod back and then say something I don't understand (but it wasn't 'NO'). I ask if the park is closed, but I then understand 'money'. Oh, I have to pay- how much ? 10 ruppee (18 cents) I have a 500 rupee note and no coins !! Oops. After much animation - they let me in.... Because saying no is just not going to happen!!
We will go back tomorrow and pay 50 ruppee to compensate :)
The boys were playing AFL in the hotel garden having a great time with people watching and laughing. A staff member walked by and I asked if the boys were ok playing there - "yes ma'am". So I relax and enjoy watching the boys having a great time. About 15 minutes later a very serious security guard came over and pointed at the boys and said something quite serious ( I didn't get it) so I ask "are they allowed - response "yes ma'am". But he waves his hands and has a very grumpy face - he then says something again. I then say "not allowed?" And I get "yes ma'am" !!!
Only small things but am sure they are going to get bigger when we move to our house.
Yes means.......
P.S. I apparently now go by ma'am or Mrs Michael - please update my details in your addresses ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment