Thursday, 18 July 2013

Where there's a will.....

The number one thing I have learnt in the last three weeks in India, is that if something needs to be done or fixed, Indians will make it happen. It doesn't matter if you have the right tools (or any tools actually).

Whilst waiting for our shipment to arrive we took possession of our very empty house and there has been quite a bit if maintenance to be done. Only minor things but things that needed doing. 

For example, the kitchen drawers wouldn't slide, some lights didn't work, a couple of broken tiles on the roof, some touch up painting etc. So the handyman (or men, there never seems to be anyone working alone) come along on their scooter or push bike with nothing - yep nothing, no tools of any description. OK, occasionally a screwdriver is used.

I'm not sure how it happens, but things manage to get fixed with little to no tools - now that takes skill.  The painter cam yesterday with a small bucket with a small amount of paint (not the paint tin), a brush and some spacfilla - not sure how, but we now have a patched up and painted wall.  There was also some gas cylinders in the garage that needed to be removed - no truck, no problem.  I'll just rest them one at a time on the back of my pushbike and walk them back to the centre. Brilliant !!

I am constantly amazed at the Indian ingenuity, I am so hoping that some of it rubs off on our boys.  The mindset that anything is possible, even if it looks impossible is so refreshing.  To constantly say 'yes' to challenges rather than 'nope, too hard', or 'I don't know how to do it'.  However, on the negative side, you can imagine that a number of the things repaired are going to have to be revisited in the not-so-distant future.......

Now, if only I could find some sink plugs........ seemingly non-existent in India.

No comments:

Post a Comment